taking the horns off a buffalo

Submitted by woodchick on 11/3/04 at 3:20 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.198

I have just gotten in a buffalo off one of those pop a pet farms in Pennsylvania. The customer wants me to use the real horns. I have only mounted one before using artificial horns. what is the best way to remove the horns off the skull? I would appreciate any suggestions. thanks

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Here's what I did

This response submitted by Carl E on 11/3/04 at 3:39 PM. ( mtnhntr@msn.com ) 130.76.32.16

I just finished doing four of them a few months ago. Since the customers didn't want the skulls back, I just cut them off below the shell, marked them, then tied them in a plastic bag, hung them under the eve of my shop for a month and they popped right off. There are other ways if you're in a hurry. By all means do a SEARCH. You probably would already have found your answer. Good luck, Carl

I already looked

This response submitted by woodchick on 11/3/04 at 4:10 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.132

thanks for your suggestion Carl, I wasnt sure exactly how to remove them from the skull but you answered my question. thanks

Heres a trick

This response submitted by KustomSkulls on 11/3/04 at 8:05 PM. ( ) 207.195.65.145

if the horns are cut from the skull a quick method of removal is a simple microwave preferably not your good one.Drill a hole in the bone end of the horn about a quarter inch round or so doesnt really matter put them in the nuke box for 5 minutes the first time then check them the hole you drilled should relieve the pressure build up inside the horn sheath but heres where you have to be careful if it doesnt and you over nuke it the pressure will release through the cap itself sometimes leaving a tear in the cap along with a bubble thats a pain to repair.After you overall 15 minute microwave session remove them from the nuker (dam hott by the way) and just loosen up around the bases with a screwdriver being carefull not to tear the cap once youve done this put a lag bolt or whatever you prefer into the whole you drilled to give you a makeshift handle to work and twist the cap off.So basically your cooking it off but if you need them asap its definately the way to go works great for antelope too they are small enough to fit in the microwave with skull plate attached.I know its a long explantion to do something that only takes 20 minutes but didnt want you to find out the hard way what i already knew.

boil

This response submitted by rx on 11/22/04 at 4:10 PM. ( ) 216.180.209.178

you can boil the horns and/or the skull then whack them with a rubber mallet. if they dont come right off just let them boil a little longer then try again. you may have to hit them pretty hard to pop them loose.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu