moose head question

Submitted by rod on 11/4/04 at 8:31 AM. ( rod.fudge@nf.sympatico.ca ) 142.163.12.16

Hello Guys
I have collected over 200 shoulder mount moose heads so far this year and we still have another month to go in our season. I am charging 1400 usd for a shoulder mount moose plus shipping. Since most of my moose mounts go to the USA I was wondering what the cost is to have one done down there. I need to slow the work down to a reasonable amount. These things are back breaking. It seems the higher I go in price the more work I get. I am to the point now where I can't take anything in only moose and caribou now. I don't want to price myself out of the market and I don't like to tell a customer no I can't do it

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

And it took you TWO HUNDRED to figure that out?

This response submitted by George on 11/4/04 at 8:39 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.132

I hope you're joking. I can't imagine doing TWENTY moose in one year, much less 200. I charge $1300 for the eastern Canadian ones and $1500 for the Alaskan. If I had as many as you say you have, I'd start at $1500 and go to $2000. Anyone who's ever done ONE moose, knows that it loses it "fun" dividend about half way through the fleshing and shaving cycle.

its no joke

This response submitted by rod on 11/4/04 at 9:32 AM. ( ) 142.163.12.8

hello george. Im not joking. We had 212 last year and my back knows it. I don't know if there is anybody out there that does as many. I wish they would shrink down to the size of a deer. Ha

Then I feel your pain

This response submitted by George on 11/4/04 at 10:58 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.132

Start jacking those prices up. That's really the only control short of "not taking any new work" that I know of. Then, at least, when you have to do them, you take solace in your bank account. Good luck.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu