McKenzie 64 D form question

Submitted by Mr. T on 2/2/05 at 12:26 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.186

I have used this form once in the past for my own mount, and now I have a customer that wants this pose. What I didn't like about this form is that the face is so narrow and tiny that I had extra skin on the face when I mounted last. I would like to use a change out head on this next job, but the heads I purchased from the big supply company, have very crooked mouths and raised right eyes, and I question why they sell these that way. I am looking for a good change out head that is correct, Question is, what company has a good change out head that is anatomically correct, or close?
Has anyone else noticed this narrow faced form? And what did you do to get around the problem. Thanks, Paul Thompson

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Just build it up with clay.

This response submitted by l on 2/2/05 at 1:55 AM. ( ) 206.74.88.43

!

next answer please

This response submitted by Mr.T on 2/2/05 at 6:45 AM. ( ) 68.61.109.241

clay? oh sure, that will do the trick, NOT! I said the head is skinny, and am looking for a change out head. Thanks for the tip no name.

NEXT ANSWER YOU ASKED FOR IT

This response submitted by Chris on 2/2/05 at 6:54 AM. ( ) 65.137.99.209

Now I have used this form alot, and yep the face is a little narrow so is the 8600 the 8400 but they will work and you wont have loose skin, get it a little bigger in the head measurement and use some glue. Heck if you don't like the forms buy from another company, sounds bettr than buying this form plus a change out head for it ?

Thanks Chris

This response submitted by Mr.T on 2/2/05 at 8:23 AM. ( ) 68.61.109.241

The customer requested the form, not me. I like the pose, not the face or head. Next answer please, ;-)

try

This response submitted by mimes on 2/2/05 at 9:28 AM. ( ) 64.233.135.38

I know other companies sell that same pose. The customer does not need to know that it is not the EXACT form he requested from McKenzie. (I doubt he will anyway)

modify the head

This response submitted by JEM on 2/2/05 at 9:29 AM. ( ) 64.179.71.115

Make the head larger. Check out your past Breaktrough mag.'s there is one that has the process detailed out.

Like JEM said...

This response submitted by Danny on 2/2/05 at 10:49 AM. ( ) 65.214.185.14

if the face is too narrow, cut it in half right down the middle. Glue a block of wood in between to get the width you want. Wrap the head tightly in plastic and pour in your foam. When it dries, take off the plastic and rasp the foam to match the head. Easy alteration.

Well

This response submitted by Mike H. (no name) on 2/2/05 at 1:16 PM. ( ) 206.74.88.227

It was 2 in the morning so I thought I'd be blunt,and get out of some typing.Since my answer was short and you need someone to hold your hand here is the long version.

I know what you are saying. I use that form alot,and have the same complaint. On the deer I have here, the form isn't so narrow that I have to split it to widen it. It is only a little small,SO I build it up with critter clay. It is mostly that the bridge of the nose that is so skinny that makes the face look to small, so I add some clay to the nose to broaden it and add some to the sides to keep it all in proportion.When I set the eyes,I set them a little farther apart,(if they need it) by putting more clay behind them than usual and then rebuild the brows and cheekbones to compensate.
HOWEVER, When I work out west this is not always enough, SO I have to slit the face down the center and actually widen it,refill the void with foam, and rasp off the extra, and finish it out with mache'.

This may sound like alot of work, but once you have done it a time or two it is not that bad.It takes me about 15 minutes to do this now, but the first couple of times it probably took me an hour or so.
It is certainly better than having to wait for a change out head.

These are better answers

This response submitted by Mr. T on 2/2/05 at 4:55 PM. ( ) 64.31.7.226

Thanks guys, good ideas that I can use. Thanks for the input and insights. Paul

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu