elk capes

Submitted by eric on 2/6/05 at 4:31 PM. ( ) 65.212.160.76

I need to know how to get a good measurement on an elk cape Iwas told to get the neck measurement and all the other measurments would be close but there not the nose to eye measurement Isn't even close the hide is already tanned can you help?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

measuring elk cape

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 2/7/05 at 12:33 AM. ( mhoney"AT"mindspring"DOT"com ) 207.69.0.41

Eric, Most worrisome here is you say the eye to nose is not even close. I don't know just how off you are talking about- an inch?...more? Longer?...Shorter? Sounds like you are measuring the tanned cape- you don't give much information so it's hard to start. If you had an accurate neck measurement from the meat of the neck I should think that the eye to nose measurement would be a bit closer than you describe. For it to not to be even close makes me think the neck is not properly measured. If you are measuring a dry tanned cape you must fully rehydrate the cape. If the cape is not fully thinned it my measure smaller in the neck than it actually is in which case the nose on the cape my seem much too long. Remember also that capes are often hung up by the nose to drain and this stretches things long- you have to streatch the cape width wise mostly to get the neck back up to where it was. Stretch the snout width wise as well. If the cape after stretching is too large in the neck for your form and too long for the face of your form you know the form is too small but if it's a good fit in the neck and the face still a little too long for the form you may have to add a bit just behind the corner of the mouth. It should be close though within an inch I'd say. Elk do vary a little just as whitetails do but my guess is that your cape will fit better once stretched more. Now, if I'm way off on my speculation of your situation don't hesitate to say but fuller description of your problem would be helpfull. Enjoy, Aaron H.

Also....

This response submitted by Danny on 2/7/05 at 12:50 PM. ( ) 65.214.185.14

When the skin on the face of an elk is properly thinned, it will let out a lot. It always seems like there's a lot of extra skin (especially in the chin area). You'll just have to taxi it around some, and get the hair patterns lined up in the proper places.

elk capes

This response submitted by eric on 2/10/05 at 12:55 PM. ( ) 65.212.160.74

Sorry Aaron I'll describe it better. I bought an elk cape for a customer that brought some horns and wanted a mount, I found a cape then I fleshed and tanned it then when I got done I tried to get a measurement and the eye to nose was over 2" off from my neck size, it was bigger. Should I just order a form with the neck size and hope the eye to nose will work? or do you have some better advise.

Thanks,

Eric

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu