webpage and /or recomended video- caping

Submitted by cua on 2/13/05 at 6:22 PM. ( kusangloob@yahoo.com ) 203.76.232.234

A regular deer hunter in the U.S

Who :

stage 1 : Usually just cut the deer head off (from the inside ) with head attached and then send over to a local taxidermist because he want to have it mounted

plenty of hunters like that isn't it?

Now heres my thoughts. i wat himto learn stage 2

a) I want him to learn /how to properly skin out the head
b) Open up the ears
c) Salt once or twice properly and understand the basic principle behind what is right or wrong in preparing capes and drying capes. before they can send to a tannery or whatever purpose. .

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

So again
a) Rough Caping
b) Removing meat and opening up ears
c) Proper Salting and drying

nothing too technical to burden the thinking of a layman/ hunter
becasue all they want to know is jsut to be able get away of preserving the cape before they can store it , send to a tannery and nothing else.

anything like that in a video or webpage that combines (a) (b) and (c) = stage 2 ?

xxxxxxxxxxxx

cua

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

well

This response submitted by lee on 2/13/05 at 6:32 PM. ( ) 170.224.224.149

i guess if the hunters go that far they might as well do the taxidermy work too, the hard work is already done at that point.

besides

This response submitted by lee on 2/13/05 at 6:34 PM. ( ) 170.224.224.149

i would rather take the extra 15 minutes and cape the head out myself so i know there is nothing missing, like eyelids.

I agree with Lee!

This response submitted by SOT on 2/13/05 at 7:24 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.131

It's fine if your just want to learn, but if your going to have the animal mounted your taxidermist will charge you the same anyway (at least I do) so I would let him do it. I think most taxidermist would rather do it anyway, that way they know what they have to work with. Good Luck!

Not to many

This response submitted by Steve D on 2/14/05 at 5:06 AM. ( aaa_taxidermy@yahoo.com ) 70.105.231.129

Not to many hunters I know would be willing to open the ears split the lips eyes prepare the nose , All things I do before salting, and the few that have tried to "go the extra mile" to help me out as they put it have messed the cape up so bad it wasent worth mounting.Besides it only takes 15 min tops to cape it out and if i do it i know its done right.

Discount

This response submitted by Sam on 2/14/05 at 5:53 PM. ( ) 207.177.14.30

If I made the hunter do all the "not so fun" work, I would think he'd want one heck of a discount on his mounting cost.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu