question about the bell on moose

Submitted by dusty on 2/17/05 at 8:35 PM. ( dsmithson01@yahoo.com ) 67.14.217.165

being a taxidermist from arkansas i rarely see any moose come through my shop my question is on spliting the bell is that done down through the neck from the inside or is it cut on the outside of the skin and just sewn back together from the outside? and is their anything else special i should know about? thanks for your time

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Moose

This response submitted by Jim Stagliano on 2/17/05 at 8:43 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.131

I do a few, I usually split the hide from the inside, sort of like a dew flap. Then, from the outside I split the bell just like a coyote or fox tail and actually turn it inside out and then just salt it all good. It is important that you opens all the flesh areas otherwise you will have problems.

Depends on the bell

This response submitted by George on 2/17/05 at 8:47 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.131

I've had some that everything could be done from the inside and others that had to be split form the outside. Jim is absolutely right about the fleshing to be done.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu