Do bonded elk ears work?

Submitted by KB on 2/18/05 at 1:23 PM. ( ) 65.161.239.4

Has anyone had success with bonded elk ears, instead of using ear liners? We've tried the process leaving the ear cartilege in, roughing up the skin and cartilege, and using a mix of bondo, fiberglass resin, and fiberglass chunks (you know what I mean) on mule deer ears, and they drummed. Any experience or advice on using it on elk?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

elk

This response submitted by joe m on 2/18/05 at 1:28 PM. ( ) 24.119.192.104

thats the way I do all my game

You mixed it to hot

This response submitted by jim on 2/18/05 at 1:32 PM. ( ) 63.227.249.26

on the mule deer ears. Also I spray the outside of the ears with water to keep the outside from drying to fast causing a stain that might cause some drumming. Also just do one ear at a time for control.. I use "Kitty Hair" long strand bondo. Elk are easier than mule deer.

I cut checker boards in mine

This response submitted by Hogger on 2/18/05 at 7:17 PM. ( ) 4.7.217.210

On muleys and blacktail where there's a lot of cartilage to shrink and strain I cut checkboards in the inside cartilage with a scalple. It's only my theory that this helps keep the cartilage from acting as one big strong unit, shrinking and pulling away from the bondo mix. It doesn't seem to have any bad effect as far as the outside appearance of the ear which was my initial concern. I thought the checkerboard design might show through but it didn't. This way I keep the cartilage which helps shape the ear easier, but it doesn't work against me.

I have done it and it worked, but not anymore.

This response submitted by John C on 2/18/05 at 9:09 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Mix it cool, and wet the ear down with denatured alcohol on the out side this will allow you time to work the bondo and get perfect edges.

You need to take some fiberglass mat and cut it with scissors.

Fine strand up to 1/4 inch long.

Add 50% polyester resin to the mix and use only the paste cat.

BONDO IS POLY RESIN with talc added and so called micro balls. So you dont need a lot of hardner.

To do elk ear right be sure the oils are off the inside of the ear.

Now if you are really want good ear, once the b?Mix sets remove the earliner, sand and smooth it up, make any repairs, and mix some artist oils in your Epoxy that will glue the skin to the earliner.

thanks for the help

This response submitted by KB on 2/19/05 at 4:00 PM. ( ) 65.161.239.4

Much appreciated.

They shouldn't drum

This response submitted by Steve A. on 2/22/05 at 8:19 PM. ( ) 216.129.231.7

I do a fair number of white tail and Mule deer each year. I've never had a drumming problem. I soak the inside ear in laquer thinner for a few seconds in a cup, dry it off with a rag, hit it for a very short time with a hair dryer. After that I fill with a mixture of bondo, fiberglass, and fiberglass chop. Works like a charm every time.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu