regulations for bighorn sheep horns......Plugged?

Submitted by Jeff on 2/25/05 at 10:46 PM. ( ) 209.206.144.33

HI. Can anyone steer me right on this. I have looked in the u s fish and wildlife site but must be looking in the wrong place. I am wondering if it is legal to purchase bighorn and desert bighorn horns from arizona and colorado without them being plugged. They would be shipped to wisconsin. I have been told yes and no so far. I was told the desert bighorn was from a car kill and therefore did not need to be plugged. ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....Jeff

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Best to be safe

This response submitted by Darroll on 2/26/05 at 10:31 AM. ( page8889@aol.com ) 205.188.116.132

Your best bet would be to contact the wildlife dept's in each state. I live in Wy. and we plug every sheep head no matter how it died. I Think colorado doesn't plug pickup heads any longer, and I'm also thinking that in Colo., you're not supposed to sell bighorn sheep unless they've been mounted, but you'd best find out from the state. I had a conversation with a USFWS agent yesterday, his advice was "Don't assume anything, you are the end recipient and need to know for sure what's OK and what's not" Hope this helps.

Thanks Darroll

This response submitted by jef on 2/26/05 at 10:40 AM. ( ) 209.206.144.18

Thanks for your advice Darroll. It's best to be safe like you said. apprciated.....Jeff

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu