Elk Mount develops hole 6 months after completion

Submitted by David on 2/27/05 at 8:48 AM. ( dhumbleman@aol.com ) 64.19.245.190

I need to know what kind of options I have for repairing a hole in the brisket area of elk mount. I haven't contacted my taxidermist about the problem yet. 6 months after I picked up the mount a 2" x 2" hole appeared. This split occured during additional drying/shrinkage period. How can this be fixed. Is it possible to remove/losen the cape from the form and make a repair. My taxidermist does a awesome job put this was something missed. Please educate me so I will know what is possible. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

well

This response submitted by wetnwild on 2/27/05 at 9:24 AM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Either it is a gun shot wound that was sewed and pulled lose during the drying period, if no hide paste was used in this area, or a thin razor cut while fleshing and thinning finalkly tore open due to drying and shrinking. Rather than rehydrating the cape and getting further stretch in this area which is hard to do once the skin is glued in place and stitched up thye back, there may be anough hide pulled over the back of the form and stapled that a small swatch could be cut oput, rehydrated and then glued in place to blend with the original hair lines. I would call him, tell him about it, and if he is as good as you say, it will be something he should be able to fix, and would want to as it is a reflection of his work.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu