Selling Deceased Person's Gamehead Collection

Submitted by Ms. Chip on 2/27/05 at 3:51 PM. ( kac36574@yahoo.com ) 209.102.131.223

I have a "cousin" who is wanting to sell her deceased husband's gamehead collection. She lives in Florida. Is it legal for her to do so? She has been approached by BassPro. Are they fair purchasers? The collection at this point includes a bison (value-$500?- is this about right?), an elk (value- $800?),elk antlers (value-#200?), a caribou (value-$500?), a pronghorn (value-$150?), and two black sheep (value-unknown?). She also has a flying turkey. Is it legal to sell and value-?
She not only lost her husband but also her home and her finances are bad. Please answer this seriously so that I can help her get what is fair and quick. Please verify my estimates of value and help me on any unknown values. When I say "value" I mean average selling price and I'm sorry that I don't currently have any scores on these mounts, but I know that he was in hunting magazines and even wote an article or two for them so I can only assume they are scoreable trophies. His name was Skip Moon.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

The prices seem about right.

This response submitted by John C on 2/27/05 at 4:04 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Dont know the score on the elk or pronghorn or caribou, but the prices seem about right maybe even pretty good depending on quality.

Yes its probely legal to sell, check your state regulations with the GAME AND FISH.

The only thing would be the turkey that Florida should regulate.

May be low

This response submitted by Ed on 2/27/05 at 9:15 PM. ( mountianed@earthlink.net ) 4.233.140.62

Assumeing that they are all shoulder mounts ,the prices with the exception of the prong horn seem about right.the going rate for deer sized shoulder mounts in my area is $350. ie: deer,antelope ,sheep,ect.Mind you thats for retail rate on taxi work and does not take into consideration the value of the hide/horns.larger mounts such as bison/elk are in the$500 range, and turkey's start @ $425,and go up from that point,depending on habitat display.Hope this helps you out. Ed

Appraisal

This response submitted by Old Fart on 2/27/05 at 10:28 PM. ( ) 216.148.246.153

You really need to get an appraisal from a reliable taxidermist. The age of the mounts, their condition and the original quality of the mount will all figure into their current value. Then the value of the antlers and horns have to be figured in. There is no way that anyone can give you an honest answer without looking at them.

Thank you for your responses

This response submitted by Ms. Chip on 2/28/05 at 12:26 PM. ( kac36574@yahoo.com ) 209.102.128.103

The pricing I came up with was based on similar size mounts sold on e-bay recently. That is why I had no idea on the black sheep since I found none. I noticed that nobody responded to the question about basspro shops. Has no one had an experience with them? I have briefly seen them (the mounts) and saw no obvious major flaws in taxidermy craftsmanship (such as poor eyes sets, or pulling away at the mouths, etc.) It's just that I didn't know if the pricing should follow more with the cost of mounting a gamehead or not. For example if it costs $400 to mount a deerhead, should that be the price whether it's a typical 140 B&C or a three-horned atypical 105B&C ? As far as age, I would say that most are 10 years old or less.

sell them on taxidermymounts.com

This response submitted by Jason on 2/28/05 at 1:09 PM. ( info@taxidermymounts.com ) 24.118.253.34

I'd be happy to list them for you. www.taxidermymounts.com has new listings everyday. Check it out and use the submission form with pictures you can add.
Thanks, Jason

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu