Removable elk antlers

Submitted by Aaron on 2/28/05 at 8:15 PM. ( ) 64.33.138.209

I have several customers goning on a trophy bull elk hunt this coming year. Historically the hunt has produced some huge bulls (300-370 Boone and Crockett) I would assume that some of them will need detachable antlers. I have never done this before but I see the Detachable antler systems in the catalog. How do you use these systems? Thanks

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

elk antlers

This response submitted by matt on 2/28/05 at 9:54 PM. ( bearclawtaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 216.166.159.184

hi Aaron / if the elk are that big 330 and up/ i would not cut them or make them detachadle . I did some it not the same if they are on the skull cap to me i would leave them the way they are .I did some for one guy that i did for now he don't like it/ so good luck/

elk antlers

This response submitted by matt on 2/28/05 at 9:55 PM. ( bearclawtaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 216.166.159.184

hi Aaron / if the elk are that big 330 and up/ i would not cut them or make them detachadle . I did some it not the same if they are on the skull cap to me i would leave them the way they are .I did some for one guy that i did for now he don't like it/ so good luck/

Removable antlers

This response submitted by Ric on 2/28/05 at 10:29 PM. ( ) 66.189.200.115

I've done moose & elk. The kits out of Research mannakins come with detailed instructions. Take your time & go slow. My customers couldn't tell they were removable until I pulled an antler off.
Ric

removable

This response submitted by Hugh on 3/2/05 at 8:40 AM. ( ) 24.213.59.179

Ive never used a kit but used a method posted in Breakthrough a few years ago. I bought some square tubing and some square stock to fit inside the tubing.(3/8 I think). Get a spade bit and drill up through the bottom of the skull plate into the antler about 6" if you can get that far. Tape off the end of the square tubing and fill up the hole in the antler with bondo and stuff the tubing into the antler. Let it hardern, then cut the antler off right at the bur. Screw the skull plate on to the mannikin. Drop a piece of the square stock in the tubing left in the skull plate and cut it to stick up about 5" and now you have a removable antler.

It was pretty easy and you only have about $5.00 in materials and I charge $150.00 for it.

Hugh

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu