removable elk antlers

Submitted by Garry on 4/5/05 at 9:04 PM. ( ) 142.165.90.176

After making elk antlers removable, how do you glue the pedicle skin so it won't pull down as it dries? If you get epoxy onto the antler base, it will not be removable. If you use no glue, a quarter inch of pedicle shows after the shrinkage. Thanks.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

nails

This response submitted by Lee on 4/5/05 at 10:25 PM. ( ) 68.68.67.14

What i have done and had some success with is to use a large finish nail and tack that skin in place. after it is dry just pull that nail out and it should be fine...hope that helps

Why would you have shrinkage?

This response submitted by George on 4/5/05 at 10:34 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.135

I cut the antler up under the pedicel. When I get read to mount it, I take the skull hide to the skull around the antler riser. Then I sew the first bottom stitch in place and lock stitch it down. Then I take a big electrical wire tie and I cinch it TIGHT at the base of the riser. I glue the rest of the riser with epoxy as I sew it up and in insure that I have the hide right to the edge under where the pedicel will mate. Then I run a bead of superglue around that fine edge. I leave it for several days until the hide is dried, cut the electrical tie and brush the cape with a heavy brush to eliminate the packed down hair. I've been doing it that way for over 10 years now and I've never had a "gap" develop yet.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu