Water additives for skull bleaching

Submitted by Pooch on 4/8/05 at 6:24 AM. ( ) 151.121.5.203

I have been staying with what little I know about skull bleaching and that is when I initially boil the tissue from the bone you need to cut the grease from dissolved fats and glands or it will give a yellowing effect. I have been adding 1 medium sized (approx.22oz) of Dawn ultra,12 pounds of baking soda, and 25 pounds of salt to approx. 125 gallons of water in my tank before I boil. I have got very good results thus far using this method. Would anyone happen to know if there is something I should or should not be adding or perhaps a more efficient additive to maximize the process. Thanks, Pooch

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Yes do not add

This response submitted by b on 4/8/05 at 7:03 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.138

fire under the pot. Boiling skulls is in all actuality the worst way to clean them.

pooch

This response submitted by Steve D on 4/8/05 at 7:53 AM. ( aaa_taxidermy@yahoo.com ) 70.105.239.137

How many skulls are you doing at a time? Arm and hammer laundry soap is all I have ever used, and had very good results with it. Of course as you know if you dont keep an eye on it youll ruin the skull if a very short time. Depending on the skull I may degrease it (bear boar coon ect) after boiling and cleaning and give it another quick boil (5 min in boiling water and arm and hammer) to clean out anything thats left and remove any degreaser left behind. Take it out Quick wash in clean cold water and dawn dish soap Then into a hydrogen peroxide soak for 2-3 days into the sun for 1 week then seal with a fungicidal sealer and finish however you see fit. I dont care to deal with beetles and dont care for the smell of masercration. I do it right on an electric hot plate with an exhaust fan over it and deflesh over the sink with a knife and running water,There are alot of processes that are used with im sure very good results but this is the method I prefer. Still curious how many you do at a time?

Why dont you boil

This response submitted by Pooch on 4/8/05 at 12:40 PM. ( ) 151.121.5.203

"b" ,
why do you say that boiling is the worst thing to do for cleaning a skull? I do not have the capability to deal with beetles, Just because my job has me out of town so much and living where I do cold weather and power outage is common. I feel as long as when it is done and closely monitored it has not been a problem. What method do you use?

How many

This response submitted by Pooch on 4/8/05 at 2:43 PM. ( ) 151.121.5.203

Steve,
I generally boil about 3-5 longhorn or highlander(cattle) skulls at a time If I still have room I will put in a deer or two or bear but I only put the small stuff in with a stainless steel mesh basket so I dont loose any teeth if they by chance are loose to begin with. I designed the basket after having to reconstruct the entire dental structure of a coyote. Lesson learned! I may be trying to do too many at once, give me some input please. Thanks, Pooch

OK

This response submitted by Steve D on 4/8/05 at 4:09 PM. ( aaa_taxidermy@yahoo.com ) 24.50.46.54

I was trying to figure out why you used so much material. Actually boiling helps to detererate the skull fast and turn it to powder thats why you have to watch it so close. but it works for you and me and alot of others so I m not changing, you? LOL

Not sure if you've seen it......

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 4/9/05 at 8:36 AM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 152.163.100.138

but here goes. http://www.hidetanning.net/SkullCleaning.html Peace. Jeff F.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu