Dealing with Large Scars

Submitted by Joey on 4/14/05 at 11:34 AM. ( joeyrott@hotmail.com ) 63.76.48.90

This past season my girlfriend harvested her 1st deer, and i'm am going to mount it. The problem is that there is a large scar above his right eye. It's about 1" long and 3/8"-1/4" wide. What is the best way to deal with a scar in this type of place, where there isn't the long hair to cover it or extra skin to cut it out. Thanks for help.

I have one pic of the deer, even though it just roughly shows the scaring. The cape is currently at the tannery and do not have any better pictures for now.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/upfiles/14201/Ge941694624.jpg

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Joey

This response submitted by George on 4/14/05 at 12:17 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.132

I repair them. If they are in an area where they can't be removed and sewn, the put in a hairpiece. The method I use is that I paint a thin layer of Clear Silicone RTV (bathtub caulk) on the scar after it dries. Then I cut snippets of hair from the backside of the deer where it's stapled to the panel and lay thin rows of hair in place. I don't worry about them except to keep them flowing in the direction of the hair pattern. Once the RTV cures, I take very sharp scissors and trim the hair ends so that they match. Oftentimes you can get away without clipping if you take very short snippets and lay them in place. Put them done from back to front so you don't have any gaps showing.

Why mess with the character

This response submitted by Doug Bridges on 4/14/05 at 12:47 PM. ( doug@ddtaxidermy.com ) 12.40.253.102

of the deer? That's a battle scar of the deer. Nice deer by the way. Leave the character in the mount.

Yeh, you can fix it too.

Doug

keep a couple of hides around to match hair

This response submitted by paul e on 4/14/05 at 1:23 PM. ( americanmetalfab@bellsouth.net ) 65.6.117.101

i keep a couple of hides around
so i can match the same hair from the same place and color
i didnt know the rtv would work
that sounds like that part might be better than what i was using
Thanks George!

Dougs right

This response submitted by hunter on 4/14/05 at 10:22 PM. ( hunter22@frontiernet.net ) 67.51.77.60

the scar is the part of the natural character of the deer. I always mount scars naturally.I've even highlighted them to make them more noticeable and got great responces.I guess its a matter of preference so its up to you or what she(your girl freind)wants.Anyway you decide whats best for you and have fun doing it good luck.

Scar

This response submitted by mrdux on 4/14/05 at 11:47 PM. ( mrdux@refugemail.com ) 68.217.183.254

I had a customer bring in a nice 9 piont buck during our 2004 rifle season. The deer had been at a processor so it was skinned and frozen when brought to me. When the lady and her husband brought it, they mentioned that it had a "scar" at it's right eye. When I thawed it out to cape it, the "scar" turned out to be a punctured eye ball, badly torn tear duct and a pus filled mess about 2 square inches toward the deer's nose. I called the customer to ask if she was aware of the damage and how they wanted me to approach it. It would have required a new cape to look anywhere close to normal. She said just fix it to look like it did when it was shot! I had taken several digital photos of the eye and used them as reference. I did install a "good" eye in the place of the punctured one but other than that, completed the job per their instructions---maybe not quite as graphic but very close. When they picked the mount up last week, they were thrilled with the way it turned out. Lots of times the more unique features need to be left or enhanced to give the work more character. They did me a huge favor by asking for this damage to be left as it was. From now on, I will ask before I fix any damage on a customer's trophy.

Scar Repair

This response submitted by Randy on 4/16/05 at 7:57 PM. ( ) 4.27.91.73

For commercial work I have found using Apoxie Sulpt or similar substance as a repair, then paint with flesh tone and then mist with blending brown creates a rather lifelike illusion of a living scar.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu