Goat horn problem - looked in archs first

Submitted by samantha on 4/25/05 at 2:32 AM. ( ) 211.27.79.46

Hi.
Question;
Will placing them in water for a few days loosen these horns? (after boiling with sal soda)
Background -
I have never come across this problem before and i couldnt find an answer in the archs.
I have a set of goat horns and 'both' horns just wont come off the cores.
It looks like the animal has had some sort of injury to the horns as they have a short split (1 - 1.5") down the inside curve of each horn and the core was showing thru a little. (butted something it shouldnt have maybe)
Anyway - i boiled the horns for a short time with a little sal soda as i always do and these guys just wouldnt loosen at all. I worked the bottom ends with a knife then I left them boil bit longer but still no good.
I didnt want to over boil them - There was also an unusually high amount of grease comming out of these horns.

I also read i the archs that for horns that cant be removed it was ok to drill a few holes up and into the cores and then boil them in a borax solution. Will this work if the water wont?
regards, sam.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Trash bag

This response submitted by Stephen on 4/25/05 at 1:32 PM. ( spankndope@yahoo.com ) 204.65.230.110

Have you tried placing them in a trash bag sealed and placed in the sun for a couple of weeks? This has always worked for me and you don't have to worry about the horns cracking from boiling. Hope this helps.

Thanks

This response submitted by samantha on 4/25/05 at 7:43 PM. ( ) 211.27.78.131

Thanks for the reply steven.
No i havnt - i wasnt sure if that would work 'after' boiling.
Will give it a go though. lol.
Will post back in a few weeks.

Goat horns

This response submitted by Ron on 4/29/05 at 12:25 PM. ( ) 67.64.29.164

If you get in fresh horns, the easiest way is to microwave them off, just cook for 30-40 seconds at a time and they will pop right off.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu