Goat horn problem - looked in archs first

Submitted by samantha on 4/25/05 at 2:32 AM. ( )

Will placing them in water for a few days loosen these horns? (after boiling with sal soda)
Background -
I have never come across this problem before and i couldnt find an answer in the archs.
I have a set of goat horns and 'both' horns just wont come off the cores.
It looks like the animal has had some sort of injury to the horns as they have a short split (1 - 1.5") down the inside curve of each horn and the core was showing thru a little. (butted something it shouldnt have maybe)
Anyway - i boiled the horns for a short time with a little sal soda as i always do and these guys just wouldnt loosen at all. I worked the bottom ends with a knife then I left them boil bit longer but still no good.
I didnt want to over boil them - There was also an unusually high amount of grease comming out of these horns.

I also read i the archs that for horns that cant be removed it was ok to drill a few holes up and into the cores and then boil them in a borax solution. Will this work if the water wont?
regards, sam.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Trash bag

This response submitted by Stephen on 4/25/05 at 1:32 PM. ( spankndope@yahoo.com )

Have you tried placing them in a trash bag sealed and placed in the sun for a couple of weeks? This has always worked for me and you don't have to worry about the horns cracking from boiling. Hope this helps.

This response submitted by samantha on 4/25/05 at 7:43 PM. ( )

Thanks for the reply steven.
No i havnt - i wasnt sure if that would work 'after' boiling.
Will give it a go though. lol.
Will post back in a few weeks.

Goat horns

This response submitted by Ron on 4/29/05 at 12:25 PM. ( )

If you get in fresh horns, the easiest way is to microwave them off, just cook for 30-40 seconds at a time and they will pop right off.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu