Help with Bison

Submitted by Mark on 4/25/05 at 8:51 PM. ( ) 64.19.112.53

My Bison cape came back from the tannery with a 10 inch patch of hair missing on the side of its face.The rest of the cape looks great.What can I do to fix this problem? Thanks Mark.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

get a new cape

This response submitted by dwl on 4/26/05 at 8:47 AM. ( ) 204.113.19.8

sorry, but that is about the only thing you can do.

Get creative....

This response submitted by Don on 4/26/05 at 1:38 PM. ( ) 206.50.25.187

How about a buff that has been playing in the mud or maybe snow!? Cover up the spot?

Patch it

This response submitted by Evelyn on 4/26/05 at 5:12 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.12

you most likely will have some hide leftover after mounting the bison. Use some of that hide to patch in your bald spot. You will have to trim the hair of course to the right lenght. Might want to choose the left over brisket part for the patching. It all depends on where in the face the bald spot is.

We had to do things like that before, and with some cutting, trimming, gluing, and lots of patience, it can be almost totally covered up and hidden to where the customer won't know it was there.

Thank you for your responce on patching.

This response submitted by Mark on 4/27/05 at 12:35 PM. ( ) 64.19.112.53

I found some hair on the brisket area that matches perfectly.When patching,do I sew it before I put it on the form or do I glue it before mounting it? Glue or sew, or glue and sew?Thanks again. Mark

On the patching

This response submitted by Evelyn on 4/27/05 at 9:55 PM. ( ) 152.163.101.10

Mark, mount your buffalo up as usual. Once it is dry, carefully measure the area of the bald spot and cut it out(razor blade works great). Use this cut out bald spot, to cut out the exact same piece out of your left over brisket hide. Resoak that piece until it is flexible. Then carefully superglue it into the cut out area on the face. If you do it carefully and take your time if will match perfect and won't be seen afterward. Be aware of the direction of the hair before you cut your patch. You want it to fit perfect with the hair going in the right direction.

Once the patch has been glued in, you can brush the hair so they cover up the edge of the patch. It may sound scarry to cut a big piece out of a mounted buffalo to patch it back in with another piece of hide, but it is actually fairly simple. Just take your time and you'll be doing a great job.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu