Euro horn mount. Orangish coler after maceration

Submitted by bryan on 5/2/05 at 12:12 PM. ( wildlifedesigns@hotmail.com ) 70.97.207.3

I am trying out the maceration technique on a deer and elk. after leaving soaked in 100% water for around two to three months I removed and cleaned. Then soaked in a mild liquad dawn, kemsol solution for about a week. I then rinsed and applied the 35% peroxide and magnesium to the skull. Now even after two coats of this peroxide the skull still has a slight orange color. What can I do to remove this? soak in some acetone? or is this even a grease problem. I have never had this haapen to the boiled skulls.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

You missed a crucial step

This response submitted by Evelyn on 5/2/05 at 5:52 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.132

After you took the skull out of the maceration tub, it was suppose to sit in the sun for at least a week to pre bleach. In almost all the cases, the color, which is caused by bacteria, will go away. Deer and elk usually do not have to be degreased. After the skull sat in the sun for a week (or in some cases two weeks) you should have put it in the undiluted peroxide bath (what's up with the magnesium? Did you add this?)overnight. Then take it out and let it sit in the sun again for several days. This would have given you a nice white skull. I don't think there is anything you can do about that orange color now. It may have been bleached into the bone of the skull. You may have to lightly paint it with some offwhite/bone white.

Container

This response submitted by Tony Finazzo on 5/2/05 at 7:53 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.72

If you use a steel container the iron will stain the skull orange. I did it to a Bison skull and paid the price
Tony

Good point Tony

This response submitted by Evelyn on 5/2/05 at 8:49 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.132

I forgot about that possibility too. Always use a plastic tub with a lid when using peroxide. Peroxide reacts with metal as Tony found out the hard way.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu