Elk Antler Mounts

Submitted by Doug on 5/16/05 at 9:40 PM. ( dspeters@highstream.net ) 67.1.101.212

Looking for do's and don'ts towards mounting elk antlers. I've done a few deer antler mounts with flocking felt but would like to go leather with this elk. I guess where I'm kinda foggy is the leather part. I get the antler manequin and plaque part. Just any advice or if you have any pictures around of elk antler mounts you could email to the above address.

Big thanks!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Doug

This response submitted by George on 5/17/05 at 8:56 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.117.66

First and foremost, mount them on the floor. Many times elk antlers are mounted to the skull caps only to find out that when they are installed on a panel, they contact the wall. By laying your antlers on the floor and installing the mannikin cap, you'll know that they won't hit the wall.

Next, when using leather, use only deerskin leather. Cowhide will NOT stretch like you need it to. Elk pedicels set up off the skull. I use a large sheet of doeskin and start at the point of the skull cap using a GOOD contact cement. When you get to the pedicels, just keep going up the front side to the burr and with a scalpel, cut and paste as you pull the hide. I usually have a cutline down the center of the back of the pedicel and continuing down the manniken behind. I use colored decorative rope to hide the incision afterwards, but I've seen plaited leather braids used that looked quite well also.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu