Deer Anatomy Question

Submitted by Brock Harness on 5/24/05 at 10:25 AM. ( ) 66.139.173.23

Need to know what the "average" distance from the bottom of a deers brisket would be to the ground. I'am doing a pedestal scene for a guy and would like for it to look natural. The deer came from Arkansas. Was thinking of 20 to 23 inches but I know a life size deer is very deceiving. Thanks!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Good question Brock

This response submitted by George on 5/24/05 at 11:04 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.9

But few whitetails stand over 36 inches tall with the truly big bruisers going a little over 40. Considering the old axiom of the kill zone of a whitetail to be 18 inches, that probably reduces actual leg height to 18 or less. Bill Yox has a pen where he could go measure one for you, and maybe some of the others do. I'd be very interested in that number as well.

If i understand you right...

This response submitted by R. Stanton on 5/24/05 at 1:11 PM. ( ) 170.215.201.126

You might want to fudge on that and set it so the deer's eye level is about the same as an adult upright person's eye level... otherwise your customer will have to squat to see the salient features of the mount. I apologize if i misunderstood what you were getting at with your question.

Customer Requested...

This response submitted by Brock Harness on 5/24/05 at 4:17 PM. ( ) 66.139.173.23

Stanton, the guy shot the deer just before it was going to jump an old fence and come into a clearing. So I'am going to use some old barb wire he gave me to make the section of fence on the pedestal base. He specifically wanted the deer and the fence to be actual height. He even measured the fence strans. He is a good guy and a good customer, so I want to get it as accurate as possible. George 18 inches sounds a little to small but you could be right as I really do not know. I would greatly appreciate if someone with access to a live deer could help me out. Thanks for trying to help george!

Brock

This response submitted by George on 5/24/05 at 4:58 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.9

You need to remember now that the legs start out above the brisket. From the brisket to the ground is little more than from the deer's knee to the ground.

Measurement

This response submitted by Paul on 5/24/05 at 5:09 PM. ( paulstax2000@yahoo.com ) 68.39.44.95

I have a lifesize deer mounted here, it measures approx. 20 1/2" from the bottom of the brisket to the ground. It weighted a little over 200 pounds.

Thanks Paul and George

This response submitted by Brock Harness on 5/24/05 at 5:55 PM. ( ) 66.139.173.23

Learn something new every day! Thanks Brock

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu