Caping for 1/2 LS Bear

Submitted by MichelleW on 5/25/05 at 12:24 AM. ( blacktail21@hotmail.com ) 209.214.65.68

Ok....this might be a realy stupid question to some of you all but I wouldn't be asking if I didn't know the answer.

How do you cape out a bear for a 1/2 Life Size mount? Where do you make the cuts? I have never caped a bear befor and I was just wondering. Tis info will come in handy if I ever have to do one. Thanks... MichelleW

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

caping

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 5/25/05 at 5:52 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 141.151.117.20

Being your a newbi for sure, I would make a dorsel cut from just below the ears right down the back of the spine. Skin him out this way. Then just a bit more than half way you can cut it around and then salt, dry it and ship it to the tannery.

You may as well skin it for lifesize

This response submitted by George on 5/25/05 at 9:32 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.117.14

Franks advice is right on, but I learned very early, the hard way, not to cut the hide at all until it's mounted. Many of the choices for half life-size take up most of the belly area and if you cut it short, you're in deep trouble. It tell the customers who want them that they're paying for the tanning of the whole hide and I give them any remnants left over. Once you cut it, you can't grow it back if it's too short.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu