Making Wall Pedestals

Submitted by Old Fart on 5/30/05 at 9:08 PM. ( ) 64.122.57.60

When I have needed a wall pedestal that I couldn't buy, I've always taken a regular form and modified it into a wall pedestal. I have a kudu to do that fits a regular pedestal form, I thought that I might just modify the pedestal into the wall pedestal. I was just wondering if anyone had done it from the pedestal form before. What kind of problems might I encounter in taking this aproach, rather than starting with a wall form? I have the pedestal form that wasn't used for a different mount, it's not that I will be ordering a pedestal form especially for this project. I'd just like to get some input before starting the work.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Go for it

This response submitted by Dean on 5/31/05 at 9:12 AM. ( ) 63.26.91.186

How ya doin up there Dave. I'd rather alter a pedestal into a wall pedestal rather than a wall mount form int a wall pedestal. Making wall pedestals I usually will cut it at the shoulder where I want it to fit against the wall,then trace and cut the plywood to fit. Use bondo or pour foam to attach it in place. I also drill some holes partway through the plywood and also into the form. It gives your bonding material something to hold onto. On larger gameheads I also run a few long carriage bolts (round headed ,10"-12" long, 3/8 to 1/2 diam.) through the plywood and bondo them into the form. That gives you a lot of extra strength.The form is going to have to come apart before that ever lets loose. The only thing to watch, especially something like a Kudu is you horn clearance at the wall.
You can cut, fit, and bondo it back together in 20- 30 min. Call me if you have any other questions about it.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu