Boar Tusks

Submitted by Jerry on 6/11/05 at 7:19 AM. ( fin2fur@netzero.com ) 64.136.26.235

I'm working on my first boar. When doing a closed mouth boar, how are the tusks put in place?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Check your references

This response submitted by George on 6/11/05 at 8:50 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.199

I'm only assuming that supply Mike Noonkester Supply's reference pictures are still being sold by McKenzie. I know that Joe Coombs has some great ones. Still, it's pretty straight forward once they're installed in the jaw as if the mouth was open. The tusks and whets postition really doesn't change, only the relaxed lips tend to cover some of that area. The skin will tell you as much as we could by typing.

I did some

This response submitted by Hogger on 6/12/05 at 4:26 AM. ( ) 4.7.220.245

I didn't "study" how to, but simply put them in place with apoxi sculpt. Unless this is a competition piece this method will work fine. Did for me. test fit the tusks and whets in the opening after mounting and drying. You may need to dremmel to get the exact fit. Tusks and whets should align where they normally do for the whets to sharpen the tusks. Now stuck a plug of apoxi sculpt in the hole of the mouth and plant the tusks and whets in it. Smooth the apoxi around the tusks and whets to look like gums. When dry you can airbrush. I've found that when tusks and whets are installed, you can't hardly see inside the mouth past them so it's not terribly critical.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu