Repairing velvet

Submitted by B2 on 6/16/05 at 8:24 AM. ( ) 68.15.216.73

I just had a farmer here in NC that called me to let me know he had shot a deer (in his crops.... done legally) the previous evening. I went to where the deer was and saw what the farmer had forgotten to mention that a car had finished what he had started.

anyway, before I digress too much, I now have an opportunity to try to shoulder mount a spike buck in velvet. the treating of the velvet is not my problem, but what is the problem is that one of the spikes was broken.

I understand how to fix the antler, but what is the best method of repairing the velvet around the antler so that it looks natural?

thanx in advance \

B2

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Are you sure its legal

This response submitted by James Parrish on 6/16/05 at 9:31 AM. ( ) 204.211.171.11

In North Carolina, it is perfectly legal for farmers to shoot deer that are destroying their crops as long as they have the required depredation permit. However, the deer must lay where it drops and you can't touch it...Not for meat, antlers, hide, etc. I would check with the NCWRC before I did anything to it.

Good point

This response submitted by B2 on 6/16/05 at 11:33 AM. ( ) 68.15.216.73

I will readdress the issue, but I think it will fall more as semantics, as the deer was subsequently hit by a car and could therefore be considered roadkill, which, according to the NCWRC, can be allowed. I guess it depends on the mood of the agent I speak to. the whole glass is half empty/half full mentality.

thanks much, and i will readdress the issue with the authorities

B2

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu