DUSTY DEER HEAD MOUNT NEEDS CLEANING... VERY DUSTY... HELP

Submitted by Teresa Travis on 10/27/05 at 4:58 PM. ( teacupluv@hotmail.com ) 64.12.116.198

Can one of you guys tell me how to clean my son's dusty deer head mount? I had it mounted for him years ago & it's looking a bit worse for the wear,lol, dirty from all the smoke from the fireplace & cigarettes it has been exposed to. I was afraid to use a household cleaner on it without asking someone first & I can't get hold of the taxidermist who mounted the deer for me. Any response will be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to make a mistake & clean it with something that will destroy its looks. Needless to say, I'm rather ignorant on the matter & would rather ask than to screw it up by doing something stupbid. Thanks ever so much.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Lacquer

This response submitted by DEERMEISTER on 10/27/05 at 6:00 PM. ( ) 155.84.101.2

Used compressed air to blow off the animal, going with the hair flow. I use 100psi plus. After a good [expletive deleted], I wipe down with a lacquer soaked rag, hair and antlers. Keep the lacquer off the painted areas around the eyes and nose. This may take several wipings. Clean eyes with windex and a Q-tip. Use water damp rag to wipe around eyes and on the nose area. A spray of gloss should help on the nose.

I have taken very severe cases to the car wash and spray with the high pressure spray soap, then rinse. Set in sun to dry, do not let it set wet for very long, you donot want to wet up the leather very much. Put under a fan on high speed to help dry.

?

This response submitted by DEERMEISTER on 10/27/05 at 6:03 PM. ( ) 155.84.101.2

I didn't curse above, I don't know why it bleeped me! I said after a good blo.wjob.... ...

Thanks So Much For Your Help, DEERMEISTER :)

This response submitted by Teresa Travis (teacupluv) on 10/27/05 at 7:30 PM. ( teacupluv@hotmail.com ) 205.188.116.8

Thanks for your quick response, DEERMEISTER. Let me make sure I have this right. I wipe off the hair, antlers and everything but the nose & eyes with a laquer soaked rag after I have sprayed it all over with the compressed air. Do I also put the laquer on the wood? I told you I was clueless. hehe. Once again, I thank you so much for your time and hopefully I won't have to bother you anymore. You've been a big help. Thanks! teacupluv :)

Sorry about the Capitals in the first Questions Headline!

This response submitted by Teresa (teacupluv) on 10/27/05 at 8:20 PM. ( teacupluv@hotmail.com ) 205.188.116.8

I just wanted to add that I'm sorry about my first post Title being all capital letters. I guess I should read the instructions before I write my questions next time. I surely meant no offense to anyone. I just thought my question might sound so dumb here that I might need caps to attract anyone's attention. Anyway, thanks again.
:)

Theresa, you might try the archives

This response submitted by George on 10/27/05 at 8:44 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.67

I'm sure Deermeister was talking about lacquer THINNER, but safer alternatives are available. Soap and water would be first on the list. Click the orange SEARCH icon and type in "cleaning dirty deer". There are 43 responses there to peruse.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu