first wild boar

Submitted by ryan on 10/27/05 at 8:19 PM. ( rjrtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 70.20.13.202

im taking in my first wild boar from a client tomorrow. he shot it in may and its been frozen since. any tips that may help me out? ive been doing taxidermy for a little over 2 years, just never had the opportunity to do a boar. i think a video may be in order, just thought id ask for some info. thanks.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Send it off...

This response submitted by Greg Waite on 10/27/05 at 8:46 PM. ( ) 204.116.125.11

to a tannery. Boars are really greasy and tough. When I was in school I watched two different guys trying to do them because they didn't have the money to send it off. The sweat was a flyin. My advise, get your half down and send it off. Better quality in my opinion too. The rest is fairly easy, but the video wouldn't be a bad investment. Hope it helps

video

This response submitted by bill on 10/27/05 at 8:48 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.198

try the video from tom moore or rick carter i used them both and won
a first place ribbon in the ohio taxidermy show.weel i hope this help's.

fred

thanks guys

This response submitted by ryan on 10/28/05 at 5:48 PM. ( rjrtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 70.20.13.202

i send all my capes out, dont care to tan myself. been using the wildlife gallery, their stuff seems really nice. couple questions, what is the shield i hear about on a boar and what forms do people prefer who do alot of boars, thanks again.

a boar is no big thing

This response submitted by B on 10/29/05 at 3:20 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.73

There are a great many done here every year. Fleshing them is no different from a bear. the shield is the problem. But you can make pretty short work of that too. By using an electric fish knife. once you are at that point. you got it licked

Get the video

This response submitted by Bill on 10/30/05 at 9:04 AM. ( huntingfool42@msn.com ) 65.54.155.11

by Rick Carter, sold by WASCO.., very educational. I've got a wild boar to do, and the first thing I did was buy the video. Now it's "in line" with everything else, and am looking forward to mounting it.
Bill

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu