elk form choices

Submitted by joe birchler on 10/29/05 at 1:45 PM. ( birchler@psci.net ) 216.49.111.129

I just got back from Colorado and have a elk I killed to mount. Being from Indiana I have done very few of these critters. I have used mostly McKenzie forms but was wanting to know what forms the rest of you recomend? And also were can I get some good reference for elk and mule deer? thanks for any help you can pass along.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Joe Combs

This response submitted by Lee on 10/29/05 at 4:48 PM. ( ) 69.162.36.56

I have been starting to use some of his stuff...I am really pleased with how they look and they have been fitting very nicely. I would give them a look!

i second that!

This response submitted by lee on 10/29/05 at 9:17 PM. ( ) 68.238.131.108

coombs are very nice, i always use them if possible!
Lee

my opinion

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 10/30/05 at 12:00 PM. ( ) 71.209.66.1

if your elk is medium or small in size then the McKenzie forms are great; esp the facail details. If it is a large bull (over 340) the regular semi sneak forms of thiers always need to be altered so the antlers will clear the wall, which is a pain in the rear. Thier antler clearance forms have a strange appearence to me; I do not like them. On big bulls I like the Jonas signature series elk, they fit great and have big shoulders and look great when finished; clients always like the mount. I mount "alot" of elk, over 50 a year since 1976.

Tru-fitt

This response submitted by Ryan Orr on 11/2/05 at 12:52 AM. ( ryan.orr@att.net ) 72.244.57.150

Bill over at Tru-fitt has some good large elk forms. I done
my last one on one of his. I really like it. He hs a new web site
also.
http://www.trufitt.net/
He can ship you a catalog.
All the best
Ryan

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu