Blackbuck

Submitted by Doyle on 1/7/06 at 10:04 AM. ( ) 68.229.132.56

Whats the best meathod for removing Blackbuck horns from their cores.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Removing Blackbuck Horns

This response submitted by Joey Murphey on 1/7/06 at 12:59 PM. ( joeym@ra.msstate.edu ) 68.222.75.223

I don't know if this is the best way, but this is my way...
Drill a few 1/16" holes in the back side at 1" intervals, going up the horn, starting at the base. Cut around base of horns to release them from the pith as much as possible. Submerge in room temperature water for a week. Take out daily and twist, wiggle etc. Eventually they will spiral off.

for buffalo horns

This response submitted by terryr on 1/8/06 at 11:25 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

i saok overnite and then place in a black garbage bag and hang in teh sun for a couple of weeks - take out and they twist right off - smalles like he$$ though - fill with dry preserve and then shake out - no problemo

maceration and maggots

This response submitted by Knife2sharp on 1/10/06 at 8:03 AM. ( ) 167.79.91.21

I'm not a taxidermist, but I do clean my own skulls for myself and friends. I have found the easiest method to remove horns is with maceration and maggots. When you cape out a horned animal, do not cut the horns off the skull, just keep them intact and submerge the skull in a bucket or bin of water up to the base of the horns. In a few days maggots will hatch and they'll eat the meat off the skull and they'll also eat the membrane connecting the horns and the skull.

If you get a set of horns that have been removed from the skull and have been dried/glued on, just submerge the horns completely in water for several days. Horn caps act like wood and they'll swell. Then poor off most of the water and follow the same steps as above, but puts some fresh meat between the horns so flies will want lay eggs on it. Just keep enough water in the container to keep the meat and the bases of the horns moist unitl the maggots hatch.

You can use these methods to clean skulls yourselfe and I find it works just as good as beatles. It just takes a few skulls to get the process down, but once you do, it envolves very little man hours.

Black garbage bag

This response submitted by Marc A on 1/12/06 at 8:07 AM. ( ) 206.138.130.2

Put the hhorns skull plate first in a black garbage bag a couple of cups of water. If the horns stick out duck tape around them to seal the bag. Place in the sun where the dogs cant get it and in a couple of weeks they will fall off. No damage to the horns this way. It take a while because the cores go almost all the way up.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu