caribou nose cut

Submitted by Scott on 1/14/06 at 2:13 PM. ( swalburn@epix.net ) 216.222.245.213

When I recieved my caribou back from the tannery a noticed a 1 inch cut through the nose that was not apparent when I sent it in. The guide split the nostrils apart and may have taken a deep stroke that went through or it did happen at the tannery. Anyway, can this be easily fixed without being noticeable? The nose hair is very short and the cut sliced the hair off on one side. I have talked to the tanners who assured me that I can fix it but I am still nervous since it is on the nose. Thanks, Scott

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

face cuts are all different

This response submitted by scott on 1/14/06 at 4:58 PM. ( ) 209.9.214.150

you can mount as usual.pin that area together and adjust on the form. after you have set and taxied the face skin to your liking,take the pins out and super glue the cut together. re pin and keep your eye on it while it dries. the cut hairs are gone.

Sew with fine thread from the inside

This response submitted by George on 1/14/06 at 6:22 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.202

Superglue will often weld hair together and can ruin your caribou. From the inside, use invisible thread, a fine needle and very fine stitches. You'll have to live with the cut hair.

expand cut

This response submitted by Scott on 1/14/06 at 6:53 PM. ( ) 216.222.245.213

Can I expand the cut just a little by cutting new and straighter edges to get some other hair in the area to help cover the seam?
Scott

Scott

This response submitted by Jim B on 1/14/06 at 7:00 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.6

That's exactly what I would do,then proceed as George said.Easy fix,you'll never know it was there.My favorite thread for this is 4 lb. Fireline.You won't lose enough skin to affect the fit.It's about a 15 minute job-no biggie.You'll need the practice for later projects.A lot of guides aren't so kind.

Same here

This response submitted by Mark H on 1/14/06 at 8:15 PM. ( haskees@netzero.net ) 67.150.212.45

I would expand the cut and eliminate the cut hairs then sew as George said from the inside and take very small stitches.

Caribou help

This response submitted by Scott on 1/15/06 at 6:39 PM. ( ) 199.224.122.4

Thanks,
To George and everyone for your help. I will give it a try and see how things work out. My sewing is good on some days and not so on others. I think I will try to find some other pieces to work on to build up my skill before hitting the caribou. Scott

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu