George- Rinehart cream for antelope?

Submitted by Bill on 1/17/06 at 10:49 PM. ( ) 24.213.5.134

Do you recommend Rinehart tanning cream for pronghorn or should I bite the bullet and tell my customer that I need to send it to a tannery? This is my first antelope and I caped and salted it today, but have not applied the cream tan. Thanks

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Bill, I use JRTS

This response submitted by George on 1/17/06 at 11:14 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.131

It really hasn't been THAT long ago that tanneries refused to do antelope hides, believe it or not. They are, as you already know, extremely thin skinned and the hair will pull out of a live animal as fast as it will a hide being tanned. That's exactly why I like JRTS without the pickle. The less time that hide sets in ANYTHING the happier I am about it. Just did two about 6 months back without a single problem.

antelope

This response submitted by mike d on 1/17/06 at 11:55 PM. ( ) 66.190.245.242

Here's a good use for alum!
Add a pound of alum to a 20 gal pickle batch and you should not have any problem with your antelope capes.
Better yet, try the autotanner with the original alum tanning crystals.

Mike, there AIN'T no "good use of alum"

This response submitted by George on 1/18/06 at 9:55 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.9

It's pure, unadulterated, bullsh1t unless you're making Vlasic Classic pickles with cucumbers. Alum on an antelope is NOT going to do ANYTHING anymore that denatured alcohol. Antelope hair lies in the outer epidermal layers of the skin and just falls off naturally. Any astringent or pickle won't prevent antelope hair from coming out in gobs if you rough it up and try to pull it. If you use alum, you may as well us dry preservative in my book. At least my DP has borax and talcum powder along with the alum in it to dry the hide quicker.

what is jrts

This response submitted by joe on 1/18/06 at 11:58 PM. ( ) 67.128.52.11

just whant to know what it is so when i get an antelope i dont have to ask then thanks

John Rinehart Tanning Solution

This response submitted by George on 1/19/06 at 12:15 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.203

Similar to the McKenzie tan or Liqui-Tan

thanks george

This response submitted by joe on 1/19/06 at 11:21 PM. ( ) 67.128.52.134

thanks

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu