rehydrating capes

Submitted by kevin on 1/20/06 at 4:53 PM. ( ) 209.142.170.107

I made a stupid mistake, but maybe it will be a learning experience for me. I spray taned and bondoed the ears of a cape. I stuck it in the freezer unwrapped just for a couple of days. That couple turned to be several days. It has a little freezer burn and I would like to soak it and rehydrate it. I would then tumble it (if it wouldnt break the ears). Then spray tan it again and mount. Will it work?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

out of all the instructional videos

This response submitted by Mr.T on 1/20/06 at 7:15 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.152

I have never seen that method of mounting a cape. Where did you learn that system?
If you used bondo only, and no glue or epoxy, you can pull it right out of the ear. It will not stick to it, it would have drummed anyway. Just rehydrate it first. Then get a video on mounting and follow it next time.

Kevin

This response submitted by Ron on 1/21/06 at 11:56 AM. ( ) 12.181.15.201

Not sure how bad the freezer burn is but I.m asumming you were using Ben Mears spray tan. I would just spray some on the burned area and fold it up and let it set in the fridge for a day. This may soften it up without have to soak the cape. I would just skip the tumbling but if you have too, provided your tumbler is not a fast spinning drier type I would add as much saw dust as I could to it. This will gentle up the tumbling a little.
Also I do not know what type of bondo Mr T is using but I have bondoed thousands sets of ears with it, everything from kudu to mink and I have never had one single ear drum. No not one. Also it is almost impossible (for me anyway) to get the bondo out if left after it sets hard.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu