couple of simple questions please

Submitted by kevin on 1/24/06 at 3:40 PM. ( ) 209.142.170.107

My first question is about thawing deer heads. I have only been mounting deer for a couple years now and am still a rookie. When a person brings you a frozen deer, how is the best method to thaw it. My shop is probably 75 degrees and it usually takes 48 hours to thaw. The lips and hanging cape are thawed way before the neck is thawed enough to skin. Is this too long to thaw? I haven't had any problems so far but it seems a bit long to me. Also what is the major difference bw mounting a duck and a large goose. I know the method is pretty much the same but what should i look out for. I also think you have to skin the wings out farther. Thanks for any advice.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

48 hours

This response submitted by ryan on 1/24/06 at 4:36 PM. ( ) 68.230.139.205

seems a little long, my shop stays at 60-62 degrees all the time. i take a deerhead out one day, skin, flesh, salt, the next. if you havent had a problem, i wouldnt worry about it.

Thawing cape

This response submitted by Paul on 1/24/06 at 8:42 PM. ( paulstax2000@yahoo.com ) 68.39.44.95

The best way is by hanging by the antlers from the ceiling. That way it unfolds as it thaws and air gets all around it. Most of the time its good to go the next day. A goose is just a big duck, pretty much the the same.

What Paul Said....

This response submitted by Mark in IL on 1/25/06 at 12:42 AM. ( ) 216.175.44.161

I also hang the head from the ceiling. Of course the ears and nose/face will thaw out first. I will put Stop-Rot on them on the hair side. I have never had a problem with anything slipping. When I hang a head it takes about 24 hours. If someone brings in a frozen head at 7:00 pm on Monday, it is ready to skin out by 7:00 pm on Tuesday. Some of the neck meat can still be frosty though.

Mark

must be nice to live in a colder climate(stoprot saves me)

This response submitted by paul e on 1/25/06 at 7:09 AM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 70.156.93.55

i usually have the agrivation of the thing thawing to fast
first when i get the thing in i take it off the head
and i always turn the ears but not everything else
i then stop rot treat it
man this stuff is a life saver
it gives you a lot more leisure after appling it
then when im hoing to thaw one it depends
down in southern louisiana its a roller coaster with temperature
iwent through a few diferent things over the years
i used to thaw in a brine(i had to many bad things happen)
then i tried to hang by the head(sometimes the hair will pull out
if the cape makes a big shift depending on how it was folded and froze)
now i just lay the on the ground over night if its cold(on a bag)
but if its warmer i put them in a open ice chest
the chest helps it defrost at a slower rate
but if you guys have been paying attention to the recent stop rot post
after its treated and you have a decent specimen to begin with
its a lot less heartache to run things with the stop rot
paul e

Stop Rot

This response submitted by Marc A on 1/25/06 at 9:35 AM. ( ) 206.138.130.3

I know folks get tired of hearing it, but if you get a hypomermic needle and inject the stop rot into those lipe ears and nose areas that defrost first. As the cape defrosts apply it to the cape. After it is caped out, put it back in the freezer for at least 3 days and when you take it back out to turn everything, you will get a nice result. It will be easier to turn and rough flesh. And you will have the peace of mind, because of the extra working time it gives you. Good Luck !

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu