Horned Mount Question

Submitted by PLRanch on 1/31/06 at 6:24 PM. ( shelby@promiselandranch.net ) 64.146.187.241

Ok i have a Highland Steer I plan to do a shoulder mount on. Cape will be tanned while im in school. but I have a question...

Is there any way to do the mount without cutting the bony part of the horn off of the skull... as I want to keep the skull intact if at all possible..

Maybe Im just trying to over-utilize this steer...
feet=Gaming Knucklebones, Hide - head= rug, Carcass= beef, Head + horn caps=Shoulder mount, Skull = intact Skull for Resale.

Am I hoping or can it be done?

Thanks

Shelby
www.promiselandranch.net

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

It's just not worth it

This response submitted by George on 1/31/06 at 7:39 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.117.12

Some bison manikins have the horn cores cast into them and you just use the horn cases, but with those big steers, I like to have that bone so that I can get an idea of the transition and ear placements. I suppose you could foam the skull mantle and put sticks or rods in there to hold the cores, but it still seems a little too tricky for my likeing.

I tried the same thing

This response submitted by joeym on 1/31/06 at 10:07 PM. ( joeym@ra.msstate.edu ) 72.147.192.151

on a buffalo a couple of years ago. Customer wanted a shoulder mount and the skull cleaned up as a european. I never got the horns secured to my satisfaction. Had the same request on a blackbuck last year...I solidly declined on that one.

Even if ..

This response submitted by PLRanch on 1/31/06 at 11:54 PM. ( shelby@promiselandranch.net ) 64.146.187.235

.. they are really short....10" or less in lengh and perfectly straight, He is a test subject, so if I guber it up it isnt a total loss, He'll be my first mount ever... I know your supposed to start small and work up but I tend to dive in head first and try the hardest thing I can find...

Thanks

Shelby

Its Not that dificult

This response submitted by RJ Simington on 2/1/06 at 1:08 AM. ( animalartsnw@charter.net ) 66.190.240.12

Take a 4x4 & laminate it into your form with foam.
Make it just long enough to go the width of the skull.
shape the top of the head accordingly.
Next; Take your horns , clean & dry them completely.
Mix up some foam & pour in to each horn. You want just enough to fill the horn completely.
Trim excess foam.
Then, trim out a little of the foam from just inside the horn.
Then make sure to test fit them to the form to ensure you will get the next step in the right spot.
Next take a large Lag Bolt & screw into the 4x4 at the proper angles to make sure the horn will attach right.
Then drill a hole into the foam in the horn so the bolt will have a channel to follow.
Test fit several times to make sure they are aligned right & are both the right hight on the form.
Next mix up some BONDO & Fibreglass Resin.
Not too runny.
Put in a lot of hardener so it wont have too much time to sag & run out.
Then very quickly put the horn inplace one at a time & put a piece of tape around the horn base to help hold the Bondo.

Hold in place till it hardens.

I have mounted several Long horns ,& a lot of Bison & Never had a horn come loose or break off.
My buffalo head mounts can all be carried by the horns , Guaranteed.

Any problems with these directions Call me & I can talk you through it.
There is no sence ruining a Skull you can sell for a couple hundred dollars.

RJ Simington
541 883 2492

Thanks

This response submitted by PLRanch on 2/2/06 at 12:29 AM. ( shelby@promiselandranch.net ) 64.146.187.233

Thanks for the info I will keep it in mind for when I mount it.

Also Other than cleaning the horn caps is there anything i need to do to them before mounting?

Thanks

Shelby

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu