Help with whitening a skull

Submitted by Tim on 1/4/06 at 3:41 PM. ( )

I am trying to whiten some skulls for some friends. I have purchased some 20 developer from a beauty salon and both mixed it with a talc and soaked the smaller skulls in it. I am not impressed. Does anyone have some advice on whitening skulls cheaply? Do I need to just bite the bullet and buy some high concentration (35-40%) hydrogen peroxide for this task?

Thanks in advance.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

White Skulls

This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 1/4/06 at 3:47 PM. ( )

"Bite the bullet and buy some high concentration"?I buy mine at Sally's Beauty Supply in town for $1.72 a pint. You don't pour it in full strength either. But try Sal Soda. Alot say try drug store but here CVS couldn't even order it. They tried. I got it from McKenzie. Don't BOIL skulls just simmer. Worked for me.

dermestid beetles

This response submitted by taxidermist on 1/4/06 at 5:07 PM. ( )

Don't you operate how do you do it for your customers?

Use 35% peroxide and Mg carb in a paste

This response submitted by joeym on 1/4/06 at 9:35 PM. ( )

I may be wrong, but I never got anything at a beauty supply stronger than 50 volume...which is NOT 50%. If you are doing many, you can get a 20 gallon drum of 35% H2O2 for $0.20 per/lb. It will whiten, you will be satisfied, but be careful, because it is dangerous to work with.

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 1/4/06 at 11:22 PM. ( dakota AT )

3% peroxide that you get at WalMart. That's all I've ever used and never had a problem with white skulls. Go to and you can see some that I've done, pics aren't that great, but you get the idea.

Wal Mart

This response submitted by Marc A on 1/5/06 at 9:18 AM. ( )

I'm with Wolfwoman. The 3% at Wal Mart is 85 cents a quart. Depending on the container you use to soak in depends on how much it takes. I place my skulls in the smallest container they will fit in, and place water filled bottles in the spaces to displace more peroxide. Cost me about $8.00 to whiten a deer size skull.

Whatever works..

This response submitted by Randy on 1/5/06 at 10:20 AM. ( )

I can whiten 1/2 dozen Elk, 12 deer, maybe 6-8 antelope and a few lion skulls with a gallon of 35% and mag carb paste. The smaller the skulls the easier to whiten. BIG deer and elk I pre-whiten by soaking in 3% then saving the solution in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid so I get more than one use from it before it turns to water. I see a big difference in the whitening between using 3% or using the 35%. The 35% whitened skulls look whiter to me. Its all in what you & your customers like.

Longer time

This response submitted by Age on 1/5/06 at 11:03 PM. ( )

Leave them in for 10-14 days and then put them in the sun for a day

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu