Elk Ivory

Submitted by Jim on 10/27/99. ( ) 205.202.27.198

Is there any special way to clean elk ivory? Will boiling them hurt them?

Return to Category Menu

Elk Ivory

This response submitted by George Roof on 10/28/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.189.129

Jim,
I never boiled mine (surprised some folks, I know). After cutting them out, I put them in dry preservative and then shaved the excess off with a scalpel. In a day or two, I took my thumbnail and peeled the rest off.
I'm not sure of the composition of elk "whistlers", but if they are real ivory, boiling is not a good idea. Ivory tends to be quite porous and I would thing boiling might ultimately damage them.

european mount

This response submitted by toni on 10/29/99. ( bfetex@aol.com ) 152.163.189.129

help...we really need some assistance...evidently there are about 9 steps involved in european (skull) mount for an elk...does anyone know these? ...esp. what about the teeth?...thanks..toni

Never heard it put as ( steps

This response submitted by John C on 10/31/99. ( ) 204.180.103.59

CLean as much meat off as you can, boil the skull in SAL-SODA from WASCO clean more meat boil some more, once you have all the meat cleaned off and the brain out, wash in a good degreaser. bleach with hydrogen peroxide for a day or so, then dry and gloss with WASCO FP240. Hope this is the nine steps solution you were looking for. JC

skull mount

This response submitted by Tim K on 11/2/99. ( ) 205.188.208.7

Bring water and head to a boil, reduce temp. so you have a slow boil. Add sal-soda and continue boiling for about 3 hrs. Pull from water (use gloves) and start scraping and cutting the meat off. Return to boiling water. let boil for another 2-3 hours. Scrape again. I can get my heads clean at this point if yours still isn't just repeate procedure until it is.
Next I let it dry out for 24 hrs. Then I mix up some 35%hydrogen peroxide and magnezium carbonate 60/40 in a pixie cup. You will only need about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the solution. Use a paint brush to apply.
I let it dry overnight and then dust it off with a toothbrush. It comes out looking very white and natural.
Ps. Don't use the toothbrush on your teeth anymore. He,he,he.
Oh ya, if the teeth fall out save them and glue them back in with superglue.

Can you boil "ivories"? Yes. They are easier to scrape cleen after they have been boiled. They arn't real ivory like elephants and wallrusus. But they are similar.

Return to Category Menu