More, More on Bonded Ear

Submitted by Rod S on 11/2/99. ( rs@pacificdesignbuild.com ) 152.163.188.2

With all the banter over ears I'm sure to at least get an answer.

I was taught to use earliners with Bondo as the adhiesive. If I use bondo should I stick to only bondo? If I use earliners should I stick to epoxy?

Is 5-min epoxy from the homecenter OK or should I only use only epoxy from the taxidermy catalogs?

I'm only a hobbyist and my few mounts have all drummed in the ears. I have repaired some of them by injecting superglue. I feel that the reason for the drumming is simply because I've tried to shuv too much earliner into the ear.

Now, I'm a structural engineer by trade and have no preconceived methods on how to do ears. But it seems to me that the bondo does not adhere very well. Although I have never used epoxy on ears, it seems like a good idea...I'm just afraid of making a mistake that has no fix with the epoxy, unlike the somewhat reparable bondo ear. Although no one probably really cares, I think the most important step is to provide the slightly undersized earliner to help reduce the shrinkage stress while drying.

Return to Category Menu

Do Not Be Afraid..

This response submitted by Leanna on 11/3/99. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 209.98.65.54

Ah...famous last words!! Should I stick to Bondo??? Does Bondo actually "stick"?? Try epoxy for just such an adventure, it works wonders. Is this getting really really repeated? Or is it me?

again

This response submitted by Frank on 11/3/99. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 152.174.78.110

Here we go again. BONDO is not and I guess I'll repeate it again along with others, BONDO is not an adhesive for leather or plastic ears. It has many other uses in this industry as in attaching forms together etc etc etc.
Now as far as an expoy goes, there are many out there with different setting time. Get the one that is best for you. Contact Newton Supply Company, they have great epoxy for earliners and then some.

Bondo works and works well, when done correctly.

This response submitted by John C on 11/3/99. ( ) 204.180.103.4

I know a lot of people that have used bondo for year without any problems. You must ruff up all the cartlidge, remove all oils. You can even dilute the bondo with additional polyester resins. You can add chopped fiberglass.

Now you can use a earliners and any of the hardware store epoxies or even LIUQUID NAILS (read the label says its for leather TOO).

I think it all depends upon you to learn the correct proccedure for each method.

As far a fiberglass and bondo we used it for hide paste 15 years ago to stop drumming in competition mounts. I reentered a 15 year old mount and still got a 3rd with it , at a Regional show, judge did not find any DRUMMING so BONDO WILL STICK to LEATHER.

Many will say bondo is not an adhesive. Look what it is designed to do, STICK to METAL. We all know leather is far more porous than steel. The body shop grinds the steel to make its porousity better so bondo will stick.

Hum makes me think and from experience I know bondo will stick to leather. BUT IT WILL NOT STICK TO OILS.

Keep trying there are many technics, have you tried the fabric earliners and some of the new glues. If not get some ears from you local lacker plant this season and try them all. Good luck JC

Adhesion

This response submitted by Steve Steinbring/Newton Supply-Epo-Grip Glues on 11/3/99. ( nsc@netrus.net ) 206.251.198.53

The problem with the discussion here is the definition of adhesion. Anything that sticks has adhesion, but the real question is how well? Bondo an excellent product, designed as a filler to repair dents in auto body applications, works best if applied in thin layers to the metal. Thats why during the repair they pound the dents out close the original profile of the car. The metal is ground clean to etch a tooth for the bondo to stick to. If applied thick there are holes drilled in the repair area metal for the bondo to pass through to provide mechanical anchors so the bondo will not delaminate and fall off from vibration. If the anchors are not made the repair will probably fail after time because the adhesion is not adequate to hold the weight. The epoxy products off the shelf give adhesion strengths of 2000-2500 psi far above bondos strength. Bondo is fiberglass resin filled with talc to thicken it. The more the filler added to the fiberglass resin the less the adhesion. Thats why a lot of taxidermists will add fiberglass resin to the mixture, to increase the adhesion. Why not just purchase a product that is ready to use without adding more resin, fiberglass shavings ect., ect.? It would save time and be stronger and quicker from the get go. I do not know what the shear strength of bondo is (probably less than 500psi), has significantly less strength than epoxy which is in the area of 2000-2500psi or higher depending on the product. As far as oils, surface preparation is most important whether you preparing to glue or paint. With tanned and properly prepared leathers or hides epoxy will provide excellent adhesion to most other surfaces. Remember that the substrate must be free of oil, grease, dust, and other contaminates, the same as painting. If you were gluing something to a painted surface, the adhesion is only as good as the paints adhesion to the surface maybe a 100-150psi. When the paint fails the joint fails, therefore you need to prepare the surface to the solid substrate for best results.

If you have gluing questions feel free to contact us at Newton Supply Company at 800-888-2467 and we will try to answer your questions.

for what its worth...

This response submitted by Bill on 11/4/99. ( yoxtax@aol.com ) 205.188.209.10

...Im using air dry adhesives and have tried Steve's adhesives (see last posting) with excellent results. To answer the original question, bondo plus an earliner is, yes, 2 liners in one ear, thus the drumming problem. Take a good look at those edges...are they as crisp as an alive deer? Liners and a thin strong adhesive is my combination of choice.

Return to Category Menu