split skulls

Submitted by bill on 10/14/99. ( ) 204.116.177.242

I have recieved some caribou. They split the skull for transporting on the plane. What would you pros recommend being the best way to put back together? Appreciate all the info on the forum.

Return to Category Menu

Fiberglass

This response submitted by Frank on 10/14/99. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 152.163.189.65

What I do with all my split sculls is to drill 2 holes in each plate. Center on each of the plates, Prop them up so that the two parts are in line with each other. Take some light gauge wire 16 works fine and insert it through the holes and tighten them up together by twisting both wires together. From there I mix up some fiberglass glass resin with some choped glass in it. I spread this on the inside of the scull. Mix up some more resin and lay some glass on the top and spread the resin on it. this should make the scull strong and ready for mounting.

split skulls

This response submitted by mark on 10/15/99. ( ) 209.224.20.115

I agree with frank. By the time you bondo the antlers onto the form and screw them down they're not going anywhere. I use 4 to 6 3" drywall screws. You still want to remind the customer that the skull was split when he picks up the mount just to be on the safe side.

Ever try a vinylester resin?

This response submitted by John C on 10/19/99. ( ) 204.180.103.139

I was able to get some vinyal ester resin, It is about 4 times strong than polyester resins. Suncoast fiberglass has it

treat as a shed?

This response submitted by Pacemakr on 10/19/99. ( jfwagner@hereintown.net ) 209.240.200.106

Can you saw them at the skull and use an antler shed connector? You'll have to use one to fit it through a door anyway.

Split Skulls/ treat as a shed...

This response submitted by Mark on 11/26/99. ( ) 144.51.111.1

The question was asked of what to do with a split skull. A response of
treating like a shed and that you would need it to get it through a door
puzzles me. Is using a shed connector easier? I'm going to do two elk
for the first time and have the same question and was also wondering how easily
they go through a door. Is this really a problem? If I use the real plate, do you
treat(attach) it as if it were a BIG whitetail?
THANKS

Return to Category Menu