Wild Boar Mane

Submitted by Craig Rusin on 10/20/99. ( CRtracker@aol.com ) 24.92.226.78

Does anyone have an idea on how to keep the hair on the back of the neck standing up? When I mounted the boar I used sawdust and packed it pretty tight with the hair upright and let the mount thoroughly dry but a year later it has slowly layed back down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to Category Menu

Boar Mane

This response submitted by George Roof on 10/20/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.130

Craig,
The real secret to a boar mane standing up is to have it standing up during the mounting process. If you stretch the hide tight as Dick's hat band, the hair will naturally lay down. Don't stretch the hide so tight on top. Then put carpet glue, epoxy, clay, or whatever on the top of the form under the hide and backbrush the hair until the hide sets.

Post grooming problem

This response submitted by Craig R on 10/21/99. ( CRtracker@aol.com ) 24.92.226.78

George, I did all of the above while mounting, the hidepaste thing
(Buckeye Supreme)on the hide as well as form, not overstretching it over too big a form, and setting the long hair in sawdust until dry.It looked great to begin with. I even won a 2nd place at the New York show in 1997( judging by Marcus Zimmerman). The problem is that the hair, over time, has gravitized... is that a word?... and is now laying flat as a pancake. I wish I could groom all of my mounts this nice.
What I need to know is if anyone else has experienced this problem and what they did to REMEDY it. Don't get me wrong. I'm thankful for a response but I need an "after the fact" solution.

i tried this

This response submitted by KEITH CLYMER on 10/23/99. ( clymer@enter.net ) 207.18.8.240

What I have tried is drying the mounted animal upside down. This works great on bears, boars and the exotics manes.

Return to Category Menu