Black Bear shoulder mount

Submitted by Dan on 1/2/00. ( williamslmt@home.com ) 24.4.254.138

Doing my first black bear shoulder mount and seem to be having a few troubles with stitching up the chest. When I recieved the cape it was cut up about to the middle of the throat, after watching a video by Bob Elzner, I proceded to sew up the chest. It seems like now I have a breast in the middle of my chest ( the bears chest not mine). All I did was sew up the incision, any suggestions would be appreciated in solving my problem. No hide had been removed before the incision was made.Would like to be flat chested again.Dan

Return to Category Menu

Sounds like it was cut wrong

This response submitted by John C on 1/2/00. ( ) 204.180.103.191

I dont know who taught these people to skin, but I will bet the rest of the chest is somewhere around the back of the front legs ,Armpit area on the skin. I always end up having a t or y insission on the Shoulder mount bears. Seem when they skin them they cut down the legs and across the chest to far forward. Match the hair pattern. John C

POP THOSE STITCHES!

This response submitted by Jim Tucker on 1/2/00. ( bigjims@wilkshire.net ) 207.206.44.3

It sounds like a lotta work but if it isn't dry you need to cut the stitches you made and re-sew like John says. If you stay in this business long enough you will find that outfitters for the most part either don't care or know how to skin a big game animal. This is just a generalization not the rule. After you try to mount some mountain lions with no genitals or some elk with t-cut briskets you will get the picture. You need to take some extra time to line up the skin on these messes. One way I find helpful on the really screwed up ones is to pin it in place temporarily and sew, removing the pins as I go. Isn't this bear a Great oppurtunity to learn? HA HA! Good Luck!

Return to Category Menu