EUROPEAN MOUNT

Submitted by Bill Barker on 12/3/99. ( dosey7@aol.com ) 152.163.189.33

I realize that everyone is really busy at this time of the year, but I could really use some expert information. Does anyone have/know of an instructional video or written materials on the proper way to do an European Mount? Would like to know the proper procedure from start to finish; including, boiling the skull, cleaning, sealing, and painting for display.

Everyone's help will be most appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.

Bill B.

Return to Category Menu

Skulls

This response submitted by Dan R on 12/3/99. ( deerstuffer@hotmail.com ) 209.149.175.130

This is covered very well in the archives but I'll tell you how I do mine anyway. Skin out the head and remove the lower jaw. Get as much meat off as you can. Now take a large pot (Iuse a large stainless stell salid bowl) and put enought water in it to cover the skull but not the antlers and mix one cup sal soda (from WASCO) per gallon of water. Bring to a boil and boil the skull for 30 minutes. Oh yea before you boil scoop the brains out as best you can. Take it out and run some water over it while scrubbing with a small brush. Get every dab of meat off. Now to turn it really white use some 30% peroxide and were gloves (that stuff burns) and brush it onto the skull and DO NOT get this stuff on the antlers. After it dries I brush on a coat of fungicidial sealer. I believe that about does it. Screw it on a panel and your done.

Video

This response submitted by Dan R on 12/3/99. ( deerstuffer@hotmail.com ) 209.149.175.130

Hey Bill I just saw a video on skull mounts for sale at "www.ebay.com" Go to ebay then type in taxidermy. scroll down and click on gallery items only. Then just look thru the gallery on the first page and you will find it.

Return to Category Menu