Discouraged in Oregon

Submitted by Dan on 12/6/99. ( williamslmt@home.com ) 24.4.254.138

I seem to be having trouble getting my name out to all the hunting population in Oregon. I have put up displayes, business card have been distributed at all the local sport shops, I'm in the process of sending letters to all of the guides in the surrounding area. I have a very limited budget so I can't do all the fancy advertising in the newspaper or magazines. I would appreciate any advice that you experts might have to offer. Thanks for your help.
Discouraged Dan

Return to Category Menu

Been there

This response submitted by George Roof on 12/6/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.208.168

Dan,
You are in a hunting area and competition must be tough around there. One of the best ways to "get your name around" is to offer a free mount to the best, biggest, ugliest, prettiest, whatever. Keep in mind that this will attract all the cheap suckers out there hoping that they get the work done for nothing. Offer only one a year and use it ONLY UNTIL YOU ESTABLISH yourself. This is the best way for a person on a limited budget to have their name recognized locally.

Keep trying!

This response submitted by Pacemakr on 12/6/99. ( jfwagner@hereintown.net ) 209.240.200.71

What I've done, and it's gotten me into a lot of hunting camps, is... I put out posters saying I'm paying $10.00 each for good deer hides, call for pick-up. It's cost a couple hundred, but it's gotten me much work, and I have lots of spare hides (which are a commodity in the summer). While I'm skinning it and caping it, I'm talking about my business. Gives me an hour with a captive audience. Word of mouth will dictate how my business continues. Good luck!

Try this...

This response submitted by Bill on 12/7/99. ( yoxtax@aol.com ) 205.188.209.8

Do the very best quality work you can, and people will tell others how good it is. THEY PAY YOU TO ADVERTISE. Dont give away the work, no promotional freebees, they only spawn the cheapies and I want a deal types. Trust me, Ive been there. One of the best ways to get work is to raise your prices...people HAVE to come by to see why. Sounds crazy, but it works. Just do the best work you can, though, thats meeting YOUR end of the deal...

bill right again

This response submitted by piebald on 12/7/99. ( ) 206.74.44.155

i agress with bill to a certain point. .the way i see it is like a car .you have a gas paddle and brake .the advertising is the accelerate your prices is the brake just my thinking

Patience

This response submitted by bubba on 12/8/99. ( ) 216.215.77.229

Dan,

You're doing the right things...it just takes time to get built up. The fifteen heads you take in this year will be 25 next year, then 40 and so on...plan on about 3 to 5 years to really get a business going good. By then you'll be hiring skinners during the deer season and wondering why you can't take a day off. The vets will tell you that the ones that offer $150.00 deer heads and take in 100 the first year will be out of money, ruined reputation and out of business while you're still steadily building. The best advertisement is word of mouth...and that means putting really good work out to the customers that you do have. Keep on Keepin' on.

Return to Category Menu