moose antlers

Submitted by Rob on 11/24/99. ( ) 157.130.30.62

I was wondering if any body could steer me in the right direction
on how to rap a set of moose antlers with leather .I have done
deer .But the mooses skull plater is so much bigger .
Is there a form made out there by some one or do you just make your own
out of the skull itself? any kind of help would be great !

thanks to all ahead of responses thanks Rob

Return to Category Menu

ANTLER PLATES

This response submitted by ROB L. on 11/24/99. ( ) 63.11.217.135

ROB THERE ARE MANY ON THE MARKET THAT MAKE THE FORMS FOR ANTLER MOUNTS JUST LOOK IN AT SOME SUPPLY CO.CATALOGS I THINK TRUFITT IN SALT LAKE HAS THEM

Moose Antlers

This response submitted by George Roof on 11/24/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.196

Rob,
With moose and elk, I always make my own. Commercial caps are just too large for practical use to me. Remove all of the skull except the strip equal to the width of the antler bases on the skull. Now take a piece of waste foam and cut an equivalent groove in it. Work with it until the foam matches the taper of your remaining skull. Epoxy the sanded foam to a piece of 3/4 or 5/8 inch plywood and cut to shadow the foam form. Run 2 #12 wood screws through the antler into the plywood. BONDO (One of the few uses where it can't be beat, I might add- he said with a grin!) over the screws and quickly cover with plastic wrap. If you keep the bubbles out, you can form a skull line across the top. When dry, rasp it down so that no sharp edges will show.

I use soft tanned buckskin from Van Dykes to cover my antler mounts. It stretches much more in every way than leather and looks better in the end. Lay a piece over the antler cap so that it will cover front and back of the plywood. Remove it and paint the entire cap with carpet glue. (I uses Envirotech from Van Dykes but others will work.) Pull the buckskin tight around one antler and wrap the overhanging pedicel. Take a scalpel and cut both pieces together on the back side of the antler. Gently stretch the buckskin across to the other side and repeat this, taking care not to dislodge the other seam. Where the pedicels meet the foam, staple the bucksking together several times on the underside where it won't be seen. Now stretch the buckskin front and back and staple it to the plywood. When finished, take some colored braided cord and, starting underneath, run a bead of hot glue under the burr. Lay the cord so that it cover s the buckskin and butts right up to the antler burr. Underneath, cross over your starting point and then staple the cord to the back of the plywood.

Now your antler is finished. Take a suitable plaque and pre measure where you want them on a suitable plaque. Drill 2 holes in the plaque and countersink them. Use 3 inch #12 screws again and when the antlers are positioned, run the screws into the plywood. Put a hanger on the plaque. (On the larger sets of antlers, I would probably use 4 screws instead of the 2 I spoke of.)

Return to Category Menu