Need advice on large elk

Submitted by Jim M. on 12/8/99. ( Alias10009@aol.com ) 152.163.188.2

I have a very large bull elk to mount.It was taken off a game ranch and is record size 8 X 10 rack.The skull plate is severed so my plan is to install detachable antler pins( McKenzie),glass the skull plate and then glass it to the form.I ordered the pins for an elk and they just dont seem large enough to support these antlers.Perhaps one of the McKenzie reps could advise on this and any other insight would also be welcome.The antlers together weigh around 37 lbs.I do have the skull plate joined together at the break w/ the help of screws and a support board.Thanks for any help and may I say this forum is a godsend.
Jimmy

Return to Category Menu

Dumber Question

This response submitted by George Roof on 12/8/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.195

Jimmy,
Did you order the large pins from McKenzie? I've used them on moose with no problem and the ONLY problem I ever had with elk was that they were too big. I had a tough time drilling the hole without bursting through the antler exterior.

Breakthrough had a super article on installing the pins.

ELK PINS

This response submitted by PHIL HELMS on 12/10/99. ( PHELMS@MCKENZIESP.COM ) 208.242.44.190

HI JIMMY
YES THE PINS WILL HOLD THE ELK HORNS. IF YOU WOULD CALL IN WE WILL SEND YOU AN ARTICAL ON HOW TO INSTALL THEM. IN BRIEF, TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION ALL I DO IS DRILL A HOLE INTO THE HORN (SAME SIZE AS ROUND PRRT OF PIN). THEN I TAKE MY DREMEL TOOL AND OPEN IT UP A LITTLE TO ACCEPT 1/4" OF SQUARE STOCK SO THAT WHEN YOU BONDO OR FIBERGLASS THE PIN IN THE HORN IT CANNOT BREAK LOSE OR SPIN. THEN DRILL A HOLE INTO PEDESTAL LARGE ENOUGH TO ACCEPT SQUARE SLEEVE. PLACE THE SLEEVE ONTO SQUARE STOCK AND PLACE TAPE OVER END TO PREVENT BONDO FROM LEAKING OUT WHEN YOU PRESS IT INTO PEDESTAL. TAKE SOME JOHNSON PASTE WAX AND COAT THE UNDERSIDE OF THE PEDESTAL SO THAT THE BONDO WILL NOT STICK WHEN PRESSED INTO THE PEDESTAL. NOW JUST PRESS IT INTO PEDESTAL AND ALLOW BONDO TO CURE. GENTLY WIGGLE THE HORN TO REMOVE FROM SLEEVE. THE ACTUAL ARTICLE WILL GO INTO MORE DETAIL. PLEASE GIVE US A CALL AT 1-800-279-7985 THANKS PHIL HELMS McKenzie TAXIDERMY SUPPLY

Thanks Phil

This response submitted by jimmy on 12/11/99. ( ) 152.163.188.2

I appreciate your response.I have the article you speak of in Breakthrough.My concern was that these are abnormally large antlers the burrs measure 14 + inches.Scary to separate ones like this.Thanks again.
Jimmy

Right you are Phil

This response submitted by Jimmy on 12/11/99. ( ) 152.163.188.2

The pins worked great.I used fiberglass(with mat) and repaired the skullplate and all is super secure.It's so nice when things go well!

Jimmy

Return to Category Menu