Mounting deer on McKenzie forms

Submitted by Mark on 12/27/99. ( ) 4.3.176.246

I mount 90% of my deerheads on McKenzie deer forms and my clients have really enjoyed the finished product. However, I seem to have a problem where the jaw meets the neck. I usually have hide bunched up and I really have to work it to get it where it needs to go. I seem to have more problems on the uprights then the sneaks. Anyone else experiencing this that could give me any tips on what to do?

Return to Category Menu

wrinkles

This response submitted by mike on 12/27/99. ( the_taxidermist@yahoo.com ) 208.46.229.76

Mark-
The reason that you have more wrinkles on the uprights is
the sharp angles between the jaw and neck and between the
neck and shoulders. The sneaks and semi-sneaks make it
easier to smooth out the skin.
This is normal, however the wrinkles on the finished mount
should be over the shoulders- check references.
Those folds under the jaw should work out, again, check
your references; unless the head is reared way back, there
aren't usually any folds here.
To remove them after mounting, just start working them
down and around to the sides of the neck; from there they
can be worked up into the shoulder area, which should have
some wrinkling in an up right mount.
If you have problems moving the wrinkles, sometimes you can
get them to lay down as the mount dries, just keep pressing
them flat.
If you cannot get them out, there is a possibility that your
form is too small, was the seam tight? or the face?

mike

Synoptic View

This response submitted by Leanna on 12/27/99. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 209.98.65.77

Assuming your measurements are on the button, I think you need to play around with the taxiing of the skin some. Take your shoe off, pull up your pants leg, and grab ahold of your sock and pull it up as far as it will stretch....do your toes curl up? Now scrunch your sock down to your ankle in a bundle....lots of wrinkles? Now pull your sock up to where you THINK it should go, looks good and feels right, except for the extra sock material...taxi that sock around without pulling it up your leg anymore and the material disapears sorta into itself. Its kind of the same with animal hides, and yes I peer into my dogs nose and move his earbutts around in my hand too. Although my husband has thought of admitting me into the nearest psyche ward with the sock thing! Is it me...or is it hot in here?!!!

I didnt realize that Leanna drank so much...

This response submitted by Bill on 12/27/99. ( yoxtax@aol.com ) 205.188.209.138

...this early in the day! Hi Mark, we just had a similar post recently. I say that if you use the older uprights, like the 7000 series, you can blame the form. The newer models are really nice. I would check the height you set the antlers and/or the ears first. From there, its like they just said, taxi that skin. Antler setting is usually the culprit. Deer in this pose should have some skin gathering anyway.

Meder Forms

This response submitted by Old Fart on 12/28/99. ( ) 208.158.230.26

I used to have the same problem, especially with big bucks,
now I use the Meder forms from Tom Powell. They solved the
extra skin problem. Yes, the McKenzie face is still a bit
nicer looking, but you can't have everything. This year I am
going to try one of the McK. change out heads on a Meder form
to see if I get the total package.

Slow down...

This response submitted by Bob Mead on 12/28/99. ( meadtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 149.101.1.104

...I'm still fumbling with my socks.

Thanks for the response

This response submitted by mark on 12/28/99. ( ) 4.3.176.246

Thanks to all who responded. The finished product has worked out, but I am always looking to save time on my mounts. I will pay more attention to the antler set because this could be part of the problem. I also liked the sock illustration. Unfortunately if I try to pull my socks up right now they will probably rip in half and serve as a sweat band.

Uh, Mark?

This response submitted by Bill on 12/28/99. ( ) 152.163.188.165

...where do you sweat?

Return to Category Menu