Black Bear shoulder mount

Submitted by Dan on 12/20/99. ( ) 24.4.254.138

I am doing my first bear shoulder mount and have a few questions before I start. The cape is cut up the brisket about to the base of the neck, my question is, what is the best and most accurate way to measure the neck? Since the neck is essentially tubed, I can't lay it flat and get my normal measurement. The other question is who has the best black bear forms for shoulder mounts and rugs. I live in Oregon very close to Research Mannikins, there forms seem to look very good but they seem to have a small range of sizes. Would appreciate any help you could throw my way. Thanks Dan
PS. The bear measures 4 3/8 eye to nose and 11" to back of skull.

Return to Category Menu

Bears

This response submitted by Frank on 12/21/99. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 171.214.24.254

To find a neck measurement cut a small slot at the atlas of the head and use a wooden ruler and insert it the neck till you hit the the other side where the neck and base of the skin meets. Double the measurement and you should have you size. Don't push the hide to much to gain extra.
Now for the forms Research is good along with Rayline. They also have some great forms.1-207-234-2886

Return to Category Menu