Suggestions on gemsbok

Submitted by Rattus on 6/1/99. ( markp@eoni )

I'm fleshing my first gensbok (oryx) this evening. I noticed that the hide is about 1.5" thick along the mid and upper neck area! I've never seen a skin that thick. Is there anything that I need to do differently than with any other large cape? I plan to flesh and salt as usual. I hope I don't need to thin out that thick skin. If I do, how do I do it? Any other hints unique to this species would be much appreciated.

Return to Category Menu

Gotta Shave It !

This response submitted by keith Daniels on 6/2/99. ( arlcape@bright.net )

The thick area definately needs shaved. After pickling shave with either a round knife, or mini flesher. If you don't have this ability, you need to send it to a tannery.

What about prior to tanning?

This response submitted by Rattus on 6/2/99. ( markp@eoni.com )

Kieth, thanks for the info. I will use a commercial tannery, but I was wondering what to do about the thick hide now. I'm worried that the salt won't penetrate good enough and the hair may slip. Should I just pour the salt to it and let it air dry?

Maybe Score It

This response submitted by keith on 6/3/99. ( )

You should be O K just salting it heavy a couple of times, I assume this is from a game ranch here in the states and it's a fresh skin. If you are a little worried about it, make scores, knife cuts most of the way through, in a checkerboard pattern with the scores about an inch apart. This way the salt will be able to penetrate and draw from the sides of the scores also. I wouldn't try to do much thinning of it while green, you might do damage to the hair. Gemsbok hair can tend to be on the brittle side. Keith

Return to Category Menu