Bondo for ears

Submitted by Joel on 3/16/99. ( )

I do all my ears with marglass bondo it's a body filler with fiberglass fibers in it. Does any one thin the bondo down and if so what do you use? The can does not say anything on thinning it down. I ask one of the guy's at the auto store but he did not no.

Return to Category Menu

Thinner

This response submitted by JohnM. on 3/16/99. ( )

Hi Joel,
When I need to thin down bondo, I use fiberglass resin which you
should be able to get at the same auto parts store. Mix the resin
with the bondo first then add catalist. It doesn't take much resin
to thin bondo down. Experiment with it first to see how it works,and
how long it takes to set up.
Personally I prefer earliners, I could never stop the drumming in the
ears. Maybe it was just me, who knows? Hope this helps, John

Ruff up the cartlidge.

This response submitted by John C on 3/17/99. ( )

Ruff up the cartlidge first, I use a bench grinder with a course twisted wire wheel. I dont have any drumming. I dont always thin the bondo, Ruffed up and DRy< DRY < DRY with no oils on it at all. When you think its dry wet it with laquer thinner and dry it some more. John C

Bondo / Resin

This response submitted by Dean on 3/18/99. ( MrWhytail@aol.com )

If you add fiberglass resin to the bondo it generally ADDS to the kick off time just alittle, so if your used to quick setting bondo it will vary it just a WEE bit.Also on the drumming issue... I dont tan my ears when I tan the rest of the cape therefore I don't have any oil to get out of the ears. It has worked for me for years thanks to Mr. Joe Coombs for that little trick... Good Luck

You Could Try...

This response submitted by Bill H. on 4/12/99. ( bhawks@ia.net )

You could try acetone or MEK (methyl-ethyl-keytone). They are both used to thin polyester resins. I have never tried it with bondo, so I would recommend some experimentation. Just don't confuse MEK with MEKP (methyl-ethyl-keytone-peroxide), It is used as a catalyst for polyesther resins. If you choose to mix the bondo with the fiberglass resin, you may also want to experiment with the type of catalyst used. By this I mean the paste that came with the bondo or the liquid that is used with the fiberglass resin. Depending on the ratios of resins used, different catalists and amounts of catalists will produce different "kick" time as well as increase or reduce the amount of heat that is generated during the reaction, which is something you may want to take into consideration if you decide not to tan your ears.

Try a little of each....

This response submitted by R.L.Jackson on 5/4/99. ( flatbow@indy.net )

I personally use a combination of several of these steps.I use a bonded ear method in both my commercial and competition mounts.I start out first by useing a wire wheel to rough up the cartilage and ear skin during my shaving process.After the tanning,and sewing of any holes (everybody makes holes!), I dip the ears in lacquer thinner.The next step is to use a hair dryer to dry and evaporate the thinner. Mix bondo and fiberglass resin to make a pourable consistency,add FINE chopped fiberglass fiber (Mr.Coombs has this),add hardener.Set time will be slower so you should be able to work fine detail, (such as hair patterns) into the ear shape.Try this and let me know what you think.

Return to Category Menu