Preservation of Hornets Nests

Submitted by NH on 1/13/02. ( ) 152.16.72.21

Anyone have information or a source for info on preservation of hornets nests? I have one that I would like to incorporate into an artistic display in my home. The nest seems relatively fragile and already has a small tear near the entrance.

thanks.
NH

Return to Habitat and Exhibit Category Menu

Hair spray

This response submitted by Len on 1/14/02. ( lgums@powercom.net ) 216.114.21.108

NH,

Make sure the wasps are out of the nest first,so spray with a flying bug killer, then sray it good with hairspray. You can get it wet, but not to the point where it starts to fall apart. If inside, you could have wasps hatch out inside the nest which were not killed the first time you sprayed. Good luck.

sure glad I read this!

This response submitted by Cindy on 1/20/02. ( hopmann@ev1.net ) 216.40.239.152

bought a beautiful nest off this forum but never gave any thought that some might still be "hiding" inside, waiting for warm weather. I know what I'm doing after Church today! Thanks for the advise.

I need hornets!

This response submitted by dana on 3/23/02. ( GRIPDSH@aol.com ) 205.188.208.137

I am looking for hornets for a habitat display. Does anyone know where I can get some besides finding a nest and collect them myself?

Shalamar

This response submitted by Shannon Reynolds on 09/07/2002. ( reynoldsroclady@wmconnect.com ) 205.188.209.75

I sprayed mine with clear varnish. Seems to work well. I hung it up in a tree, so I could spray it without worrying. I've had it on the wall for a year and it still looks good.

Hornet Mascot

This response submitted by Shannon Johnson on 09/22/2002. ( ) 12.27.205.15

I have found a hornets nest at my home and went online to find out how to get it and preserve it to display in my daughters room. Her school mascot is a Hornet. This site was very helpful. I just hope I don't get stung in the process of getting it.

Huge Hornet's Nest, HUGE

This response submitted by Bev Kerr on 11/13/2002. ( holsib@odjfs.state.oh.us ) 156.63.42.10

I have a huge hornet's nest on my property, the size of a large toddler.
The opening is probably ten inches across, the whole thing is more than a yard
tall and probably at least yard wide. Any ideas about who may
want this thing?

preserving a nest?

This response submitted by kathy on 11/13/2002. ( rx4fun2468@aol.com ) 64.12.96.71

We have a nest in a tree outside our home. My husband wants to preserve it. What is the best way to get the hornets out and keep the nest looking like new?

old nests and reperserve it after all these years

This response submitted by Lucinda on 01/09/2003. ( dad7700@hotmail.com ) 207.65.129.88

I have a hornets nest that was my grandfathers, that is 30 yrs old. Does any one have any ideas what I need to do, after all these years, it looks the same as it always has, but I'm affraid its getting to dry and flaking. Scared to try anything unless I know it will be okay.

Return to Habitat and Exhibit Category Menu