peat moss

Submitted by bryan on 3/15/02. ( stuffit44@yahoo.com ) 63.76.76.227

mixed fiberglass resin and peatmoss for a base I am doing. How long does it take to set? its been over night, did I do something wrong?

Return to Habitat and Exhibit Category Menu

Did you add Hardner

This response submitted by jason on 3/15/02. ( ) 216.88.253.211

Did you remember to add hardner.

Next Time

This response submitted by Critter on 3/15/02. ( crttrs99@jvlnet.com ) 216.145.182.17

Next time just use elmers glue. I buy the glue in gallon jugs and mix in some dark brown paint. Paint the bottom of your base earth tone and spread the colored glue, put on your moss and it's driy in about an hour or two. Lots faster, less expensive and no stinkin' fibreglass smell.

Hardener

This response submitted by bryan on 3/15/02. ( ) 63.76.76.227

yes the hardener was added, I put in a little extra for a quicker set.

Mix up

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 3/15/02. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.138.8.226

A batch of resin and make it a little hot and brush this over the moss. If this is to much go to an art store and get casting resin spray. You can use this to help harden it.

Both

This response submitted by Grouseman on 3/15/02. ( jabratt@citlink.net ) 170.215.11.55

I use both methods mentioned above. For a wet muddy look I use resin. I pour the resin into a cup (not much)and add my peet moss,course sand or fine gravel, leaves, smill twigs, and regular moss. I always mix this in small batches, approx. 1 cup. I probably go through 3-4 tobes of hardener per gal. of resin. I have naver had it take that long to set up, but if it is not hard in 2-3 days I would stpid it off and start over.
As for the elmers glue. I use that on my land bases. I put down a layer of glue then peet moss then 3M spray addhesive then peet moss and so on until I have what I desire. Then I I put some glue in a spray bottle and mix in warm water until the glue JUST begins to mist. I spray the mixture over evor everything. Last I put on my moss, leaves, grass, or what ever and spray again and let it all dry. The next day if I have any loose material I just spray it again with another mixture of glue/water mixture. OH...Be sure to rinse out the spray bottle real good or else you will only get one use out of it!
Hope this helps. Grouseman

My experience

This response submitted by Jon Sobolik on 3/30/02. ( badulia2@cs.com ) 64.12.96.73

I once built a duck boat while I was yet an ignorant but willing youth. I excavated chimney rust from a chimney to use a colorant for the resin. It took a long time to harden, I was in dispair and ready to call it a loss but it hardened before I could do any thing destructive. Only once did the resin fail me, on a sail board I was converting to a duck boat. IF THE RESIN HAS NOT HARDENED - WAIT A LONG TIME The sail board was sided with cardboard then cloth and resin. I don't know why it never hardened but otherwise I have learned quite a bit in my ventures.
1) I almost always use more hardener than recommended unless it is a large single deal such as glassing the outside of a canoe then I pay close attention to # 2 and #3 (my sail board failure was probably due to lack-of or old hardener)
2) Humidity - if is is a disposable project so what, if not, pay attention to humidity
3) Temperature- You move slow in cold weather and so does everything else and VS/VS - HOT DAYS CAN RUIN YOUR DEAL BEFORE YOU ARE DONE
4) anything you add can mess with the chemical reactions, LIKE ADDING MOSS to the equation

Return to Habitat and Exhibit Category Menu