Submitted by Me on 09/26/2002. ( ) 209.209.149.225

my buddy has this bee's nest and wants to preserve it What should i do

Return to Habitat and Exhibit Category Menu

Hmmm.

This response submitted by BD on 09/26/2002. ( ) 216.255.210.222

Get the bees out.

Bees nest?

This response submitted by John C on 09/26/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.89

If it is a bees nest you will have to keep it cool, otherwise the wax can melt.

Are you sure its not a wasp or hornet?

Couple ideas

This response submitted by Raven on 09/26/2002. ( ) 24.150.167.36

The easiest is this.. make sure all teh critters are OUT! If you can see open cells - look inside and make sure no larvae or eggs are in the cells. Spray a butt load of insecticide into a bag - insert the enst and clsoe tithgtly and leave for a few days. Easiest way of preserving it if ya dont mind a glossy or semi glossy look is to then spray it repeatedly with a clear coat - you know - spray varnish, acryulic sealer etc. You can also use acrylic finishes - water based urethanes in a flat finish work well. you can pour it freely over the piece - let it hang and dry.

Bee's nest?

This response submitted by cur on 09/27/2002. ( wildart ) 64.196.208.34

Are you sure you don't have a hornet's nest? Bee colonies are normally found in cavities such as hollow trees.....Carrying home a large locust tree may require a construction company's assistance.

If it is a paper wasp's nest or a hornet's nest, it is usually wise to await the first frost before collecting it. The nest may contain some live insects that may become active if the nest is brought indoors into a warm room......Not good!

Bag the nest, spray an ample amount of insecticide (The best I have found is the "Room and Pet Flea Spray" in the ugly purple can.) into the plastic bag, secure with ties and leave alone for 48 hours. That doesn't guaranty killing any viable larvae in the nest, which may hatch in due time..........good luck.

Im SO sure I forgot!

This response submitted by Raven on 09/28/2002. ( ) 24.150.167.36

After I use the bag n spray - or sumtimes in place of it... simply freeze it. As long as you freeze the entire thing solid - it will kill everything inside of it. Use the spray and the freezing and you'll have no worries.

Return to Habitat and Exhibit Category Menu