NEW home-made coon traps?

Submitted by tyler on 8/12/04 at 3:53 PM. ( tylerpick_04@yahoo.com ) 66.25.180.250

Hey, im lookin fora way to catch coons who are gettin into my trash... i just wanna relocate them, so if you have a sugjestion on how i can make my own trap without spendin to much money email me please.

Return to Habitat and Exhibit Category Menu

My 2 cents

This response submitted by Stephen Trull on 8/12/04 at 4:08 PM. ( stephen.trull@wildlifememories.com ) 216.143.107.2

For what you are trying to do, you should buy one to fix the situation and then turn around and sell it. Coons are pretty strong and they will tear up a home made trap if not well constructed. To build a descent trap would cost around what you would pay for one.

Best deal is buy a descent live trap and sell it when you are done.

Stephen

PS. I do varmint control and coons get pissed when you catch them.

Why not...

This response submitted by marty on 8/12/04 at 4:14 PM. ( ) 24.15.104.42

...simply secure your trash better? Or, depending on your circumstances, put your garbage out the morning of pickup vs. leaving it out the night before...

i built a giant rabbit gum....

This response submitted by Griz on 8/12/04 at 6:56 PM. ( ) 69.66.86.3

My dad taught me how to build a rabbit gum when we were smaller. They call it a gum because it was traditionally built out of a gum tree that the inside had rotten out of, and it was a small live trap to use on rabbits. We would just catch and release the rabbits but it was fun to catch them like that. So i built a real big one out of 2x4's and old barnboards and i caught a few coons in it but the very first one i caught chewed the crap out of it, i finally retired it, mostll because it weighed about 80 pounds and everyone called it a hippo trap:)

BUT what i was getting at is that i saw a book that cost about five bucks that showed how to make all kinds of live traps. And the used a fifty gallon barrel to make one and that would probaly work nice. If you could put a hinged door on the one end and make it self latching and then run a trigger mechanism up a hole at the top of the barrel near the back of the barrel that would release the self latching, hinged door. A notched stick caught on the edge of the hole is all we used for rabbit gums as a trigger. Then fasten the bait right to the stick and when they tried to eat the bait they would push the notch off the edge of the hole and release the door.

Good luck and be creative.

Don,t Relocate For God's sakes

This response submitted by Coon Hater on 8/13/04 at 12:18 AM. ( ) 207.19.167.251

Kill the damn things! We have enough to go aroud Iam sure of that! All your gonna do is give someone else the problem. Just shoot the damn things and be done with it.

Pain in the butt coons

This response submitted by Ed Fisher on 9/24/04 at 12:08 PM. ( efisher@reachone.com ) 216.177.228.161

I don't know if you are still checking this but two things....make sure the trap has two doors, open on both ends. My parents have a lot of coons and my mom discovered that they would rarely go into a one door trap but since using a two door trap they catch several every month. They relocate theirs which bugs me for two reasons, one coons taste good and someone might buy the pelts if in good shape and two as someone else pointed out, I don't want someone else's problem coons in my chicken coop. Good Luck.

coon killer

This response submitted by eric pugh/ Fox Run Taxidermy on 10/23/04 at 11:07 AM. ( ) 69.81.148.23

take a medium size conibear and a square 5 gallon bucket ( like the kind used for kitty litter} lay the bucket on its side and set the coni right in front of it stake the springs so it can't be tiped and put sardines all yhe way in the back of the bucket cover bucket with leaves and debris be shure to tie your trap off to a sapling or stake. good luck...

i get em every time!

Return to Habitat and Exhibit Category Menu